Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Active Thunder Crash (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190776-active-thunder-crash.html)

Quiet Storm 07-11-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2619724)
Hey Brian Lighten up man

You can see my humor when one of our pace boats beached in the fog (I think it was 2003 SOTW)

The fog was thick that day and came in hard and fast
One of our pace boats got lost in the fog and ended up on the beach everyone was safe that is all that is important

you can see my sence of humor about what happend at our event

By the way this is the actual boat pic from him beaching then i made the cover over it

I ran aground at that poker run with a broken drive while idleing in on one motor. It was a total white out.:eek:

Maybe I should get another boat. Look at all the fun I'm missing.:rolleyes:

ActiveThunder 07-11-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by wantingmore (Post 2620255)
Did SeaTow pull him out???:party-smiley-004:

Boat US and same rape-scenario......

They claim it was a salvage even though it was only towed off a mucky sand botoom at high tide.

Price: $5k.

ActiveThunder 07-11-2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mccaffertee (Post 2620332)
I am wondering why it was being kept such a secret, usually there is something more to it when there appears to be the silent treatment.

Everyone says they are fast, so it this the first accident??? Driver error or did something else happen? Glad nobody was hurt.

Driver misjudgement.

Ratickle 07-11-2008 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm (Post 2620350)
I ran aground at that poker run with a broken drive while idleing in on one motor. It was a total white out.:eek:

Maybe I should get another boat. Look at all the fun I'm missing.:rolleyes:

One I'll never forget. We were the White Lake card boat, (Hotrodders 50 Cary), left to go north after everyone took off south. Got about 3 miles and couldn't see the end of the boat. Radar broke, damn near idled all the way to Muskegon, called Mark and Grand Haven Coast Guard, finally got through and told them don't send the boats north. Some came anyway to watch the speed record run. One Fountain hit the pier I think. Came in with a nice hole in it. Then after one test attempt the record run got cancelled cause the fog rolled into Muskegon lake. Finally someone drove up from Grand Haven and took my wife back with them and the cards. We finally decided to give it a shot before dark and ran slow all the way back until about 3 miles north of Grand Haven and it was clear. Really Sucked! Missed everything.

BAJA WILL 07-12-2008 10:19 AM

cosmic12 07-12-2008 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2620894)
Damn for 5K was their noway to drag it off with two or the boats pulling.

Damn if I wouldn't have tried:evilb:

I agree, seems to me if you waited for high tide and got a couple boats and rigged it right you could have saved alot of money.:eek:

Reckless32 07-12-2008 03:38 PM

Hmmm, for 5k maybe i should buy a big tow line and cruise around looking for victims uhh I mean customers....Sux.

I agree, simply driver stupidity. In a light aircraft the NTSB would call it pilot error. All in all it is a good lessoon for all of us to be wayyyy cautious in low visibility conditions. I got stuck in the muck a few years ago on the ChesBay and luckily I had my hand held with me to keep me headed in the right direction at a slow troll. There's reason the big ships use the FOGhorns.

Glad to hear both the boat and the crew were just fine except for a little ego and pocket spanking.

Sydwayz 07-13-2008 10:35 PM

A few more tidbits of info:

He's not on OSO, but many folks on the east coast know him.
He's been running powerboats since before I was born, so he's not new to it, or the area. He knew exactly where he was, and once he realized he was in trouble, being out of the channel and getting shallow, he attempted to navigate out of the shallow water. It was not 1100 feet straight in, albeit it was several hundred feet. The tow cable and path they took out was 1100 feet.
Once he realized there was no getting out of the shallows, he trimmed it up and set it down. The boat was barely on plane.
The drives lost about 2" of paint on the skegs. Once the boat was into deeper water, it was driven back to the trailer with no issues.

Sydwayz 07-13-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by mccaffertee (Post 2620332)
I am wondering why it was being kept such a secret, usually there is something more to it when there appears to be the silent treatment.

Everyone says they are fast, so it this the first accident??? Driver error or did something else happen? Glad nobody was hurt.

The is/was no silent treatment. There are plenty of boat accidents/incidents/mishaps that take place, and they don't all end up on OSO. There is no hush-hush conspiracy.