Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinion on Boating Magazines......... >

Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

Notices

Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

Old 07-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

I was wondering if you guys (and ladies) were sick of seeing the same boats plastered on all the different magazines? I have been way tired of this. My question is that why aren't the magazines doing articles like this resto job on this Cougar?(see OSO link below) or HotDuck's 45' Apache redo? These boats had a huge amount of work done, time and money. These are way more interesting articles!

What do you guys think? I hope the magazines are "listening"

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=191282
Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a certain B&H Water-rod that his been in so many magazine articles that the Volvo engine in it has been dis-continued for years...
Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I subscribe to Powerboat mag and am tired of the 'cookie cutter' feel and same old ads being run issue after issue. In their defense, they did run an article on Tank's Cig mild upgrades and some other boat being rigged by CPperf. As newspaper and magazine subscriptions continue to drop, you'd think that Powerboat and others would cover more diverse topics while still aimed at their target audience. Now that I think about it, there's really no need to keep up my subscription since OSO contains similar material and lots more.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I've just had a chance to look at the latest issues of Powerboat, Hot Boat, Performance Boats (offshore) and Extreme Boats--the last two for the very first time. Hot Boat just seems so west-coast oriented in a lot of their content - especially the "readers rides" -- it looks like most every boat was photographed at Havasu. The others have their good points and bad. Like many - I am getting tired of seeing some of the same boats over and over again. Do I really need another review of last year's model with a new 2008 paint job?

I wish one of these magazines would settle on a similar approach to the old Car Craft or Hot Rod magazines - or for the classic guys, Rodder's Journal. Show us more unique custom jobs, restoration/updates of old boats...more do-it-yourself articles. In the current economy - this may be of more interest to most readers, since fewer and fewer will be able to plunk down the major $$$ to buy a new 42-footer. Yeah - it's nice to see some new boats - since they provide a lot of great design ideas and some of the latest trick parts - but maybe it's time to exercise some balance. I know the new boat manufacturers are paying the bills, though - so I don't expect things to change real soon.... Just my .02...

Last edited by BlackJack58; 07-18-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It could come down to a cost issue. I find this forum, as well as few others much more useful to find out what is going on in the boating community as far as new products, what is good/bad, etc. Could be advertisers/readers are moving towards more internet based options, thus causing financial strains on the magazines.

I read yesterday the Atlanta Journal Constitution is laying off people, and read today USA Today is laying off workers.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The magazine business in general is in a state of decline.

But I agree, I keep reading on here how the PB Team is awesome and their testing thoroughness is legendary but it doesn't come across in their articles. A half page article on a new boat with 3 sentences dedicated to performance and handling doesn't cut it IMO. Also, their images often skip either the engine compartment or the cabin which is kind of weak. And I hate their new "Performance Stats" layout.

Just comes across more as eye candy than real substance IMO.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered

i didn't re-up on any of the big 3 mags....i subscribed to all of them for the last 3 years...extreme is still sending me issues...i love there mag...hot boat is better now with the new format...powerboat just gets old looking at 3 or 4 pages of the same thing they said last year about the same boat but with different power...
Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with all you guys...I also think that Extreme Boats Magazine has the best "diverse" content.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered

the are all the same, just a bunch of bling and glitter. No substance, and if you like 80-85% advertising content then these are the mags for you. A big thumbs down on all of them.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The editorial has to sell the advertiser's product, or they won't buy the ads. If you want a high-quality printed publication without advertise support, your sub would be $50 a year minimum.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.