Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine Alarm constant over 4500 rpm (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190886-engine-alarm-constant-over-4500-rpm.html)

Expensive Date 07-12-2008 07:57 PM

Engine Alarm constant over 4500 rpm

Did the shore dreams for kids today on my second run I started getting a constant alarm over 4500 rpm.And two shorts beeps every few minutes under 4500Rpm.It is not getting hot 175-180 and have plenty of oil pressure.The alarm is on the starboard engine.That engine also requires about an inch of throttle movement to stay running it stalls if throttles are all the way down.Will scan it tomorrow to see if there are any codes.All my fluid levels are fine and there appears to be plenty of water coming out of the exhaust.
Any ideas?

cosmic12 07-12-2008 08:08 PM

Tim, My brothers 271 fast tech did the same exact thing last year did it a bunch of times and we could never find out why and it just stopped all by itself. If you figure it out let me know we tried everything even ran computer diaignostics and came up with zip. good luck

Expensive Date 07-12-2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 2621208)
Drive oil:rolleyes:

The reservoir is full,wouldn't it take from there if the drive was low?

Magicfloat 07-12-2008 08:41 PM

Scan tool will tell you the code. There are so many sensors that set off the alarm that you have to use it unless it is low drive oil(90% of beeper problems)If drive oil is ok,scan tool will tell you.We had a shift position switch go bad last week,told the ecm that drive was jumping out of gear. It wasn't,but ecm thought it was. But if engine is not going into guardian mode,then like the previous post,I suspect drive oil.Low drive oil triggers the beeper,but not guardian mode.

Expensive Date 07-12-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2621215)
Scan tool will tell you the code. There are so many sensors that set off the alarm that you have to use it unless it is low drive oil(90% of beeper problems)If drive oil is ok,scan tool will tell you.We had a shift position switch go bad last week,told the ecm that drive was jumping out of gear. It wasn't,but ecm thought it was. But if engine is not going into guardian mode,then like the previous post,I suspect drive oil.Low drive oil triggers the beeper,but not guardian mode.

Am I correct that if the reservoir is full then its ok or am I missing something.Also it won't idle with throttle all the way down.Thanks Tim

Magicfloat 07-12-2008 09:11 PM

Just got a call from a friend and tech guy,he said IAC(Idle air control)He said same symptoms on 3 boats recently,IAC solved it.I trust what he tells me.The IAC is not very expensive and easy to change out.

Expensive Date 07-12-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2621238)
Just got a call from a friend and tech guy,he said IAC(Idle air control)He said same symptoms on 3 boats recently,IAC solved it.

Thanks will see if I have a code tomorrow,will let you know

bob_t 07-12-2008 09:25 PM

I had same symptoms on my 292 with 6.2's. It was a bad IAC. Tech told me it is a very common problem with those engines. Heat from the engine cooks them. Very simple to change. Just take off top engine shroud and its right there. Will need the gasket too, if that is your problem. Later that same weekend, lost a water pump impeller. That was enough problems for one weekend. Changed both water pump impellers just for good measures.