Notices

Which Boat?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Boat?

Hello, I am close to buying my first boat. I have found OSO very helpful in educating myself about what is important. My education also included a 140mph ride in a Nor-Tech cat, but that is out of my price range. I want to start with something cheap, so that I can find out what is important to me, and if boating is for me. It will be for day use only, speed is my priority. There are two boats that I am looking at:

A 1986 Wellcraft Nova III with twin 400 ci engines.
A 1988 Baja 226 with a 454 rated for 330hp.

Both are about the same age since rebuild, and the same price ($10K with trailer). I have not seen either of them yet. I would appreciate any comments from anyone about what I could expect from those two models. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Get a survey so you can see what you may or may not have to dump into either of them to make sure they're reliable.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a cheap sport boat, in the end.

The twins are nice if you're offshore and lose one of the motors, you can still get home.
The single makes DIY repair easier, as there should be a lot more room in the bilge for you to work on it.

I have had my Pantera for a few months now, and I almost regret getting the twins, for a few reasons:

*I have unlimited towing through boat US, so I'm not really that concerned about getting back to the marina if something breaks.
*My potential exposure to pricy repairs is doubled.
*There's not much room in the bilge to work on it... I'm going to have to hire a russian midget contortionist to change the spark plugs.

Last edited by baddogz28; 07-14-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere
Hello, I am close to buying my first boat. I have found OSO very helpful in educating myself about what is important. My education also included a 140mph ride in a Nor-Tech cat, but that is out of my price range. I want to start with something cheap, so that I can find out what is important to me, and if boating is for me. It will be for day use only, speed is my priority. There are two boats that I am looking at:

A 1986 Wellcraft Nova III with twin 400 ci engines.
A 1988 Baja 226 with a 454 rated for 330hp.

Both are about the same age since rebuild, and the same price ($10K with trailer). I have not seen either of them yet. I would appreciate any comments from anyone about what I could expect from those two models. Thanks.
I got two more for you.

1994 Infinity 26' Speed 69.3 with single 454 Merc.(350HP) and bravo 1
1985 Formula 272. Twin 350Merc. mags. (300HP ea. ) 62+. but you can do a lot to the 350's, relatively cheap. 10,000-11,000 with trailer.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Baddogz >>>>
*There's not much room in the bilge to work on it... I'm going to have to hire a russian midget contortionist to change the spark plugs.
That's funny.. I'm a hungarian midget, contortionist..
Infact.. I might have to sell the Avanti,.. I hurt my shoulder so bed.. I might have to go under the knife,, and my throtteling days are over.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Baddogz >>>>
Infact.. I might have to sell the Avanti,.. I hurt my shoulder so bed.. I might have to go under the knife,, and my throtteling days are over.
Put in a foot throttle and "forget about it". You'll get used to it.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Baddogz >>>>
Are you serious? What did you do?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Registered

Saddly.. serious.. I injured my shoulder 10+years ago.. Almost yanked it right off. It got better but never realy healed right.. and I injured it again a few weeks ago.. getting worse.
I can't even lift the right arm high enough to get my shirt off.
Seeing doc this Thursday.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with baddogz28....go with a single for your first boat....have fun and start off slow and learn the ins and outs of boatting and getting use to your own boat....good luck...