Notices

florida property owners

Old 12-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default florida property owners

looking at buying a house in fort walton beach fl. the house is on the water with a dock. the dock has to be modified for my boat to fit .how would one go about finding out if the dock could be modified ( STATE AND LOCAL REGULATIONS)before making a bid on the house.the last thing a would need is a dock i can't use. the house is in a sub called lighthouse point
Old 12-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact the local permit office.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered

Call Meredith Lumber at (850) 934-3355. They sell sea wall and boat lift building supplies in the area. They should be able to put you in touch w/ someone local that can help you.

Dan
Old 12-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by riski bidness
looking at buying a house in fort walton beach fl. the house is on the water with a dock. the dock has to be modified for my boat to fit .how would one go about finding out if the dock could be modified ( STATE AND LOCAL REGULATIONS)before making a bid on the house.the last thing a would need is a dock i can't use. the house is in a sub called lighthouse point

Make the offer contingent upon your dock modifications being allowed, with a 10 day period to find out.

That way you have an out on the contract, and prevent anyone else from buying it in the meantime, assuming you really like the property.

Your real estate agent should be able to find out, or get a different agent.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

simply because you apply for a permit doesn't mean you will have it granted.....confirm the ordinances and restrictions with the building department as far as what is accepted..... you will need to contact DERM as well if it is in navigable waters because the US Corp of Engineers have to approve it...........usually you will need to give them dimensions or a plan of what you propose to build....then they can give you an idea if it complies with the restrictions and a guess as to whether it will be accepted or not
Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonz
simply because you apply for a permit doesn't mean you will have it granted.....confirm the ordinances and restrictions with the building department as far as what is accepted..... you will need to contact DERM as well if it is in navigable waters because the US Corp of Engineers have to approve it...........usually you will need to give them dimensions or a plan of what you propose to build....then they can give you an idea if it complies with the restrictions and a guess as to whether it will be accepted or not
Exactly,
There are # of different organizations in Fl that get a look @ your dock permits. And anyone of them can say no. And yes, you can get a permit, and still have the state/ feds come in afterwards and say it's out of complaince. It can be challenging to build a dock in Fl.......

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 12-07-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riski bidness
Contact the local city or county (city if your within coty limits or county if not) It's a good thing that there is already a dock in place because it should make it a little easier to get a re-furb type permit. Around here 1000 s.f. is the limit for dock before you need to get approval from the water management and/or army corps of eng. However, we're on a lake so it maybe different in your area. You can also contact your area's DEP department and they can answer all your potential questions.

Here's the link to the DEP Southeast department:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/southeast/

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered

Whoops i knew there was something i forgot .But hay that was over 5 years now .Shhhhh.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by p729lws
Call Meredith Lumber at (850) 934-3355. They sell sea wall and boat lift building supplies in the area. They should be able to put you in touch w/ someone local that can help you.
Dan
I am in NE Flordia area and any "repairs" do not require any aditional Permits ...The permits would be thru the State not local goverment. As posted try to get in touch with a reputable dock builder in the area and they will know for sure ....m
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnny g
Contact the local permit office.
! They will tell you exactlly what you need to know

Quick Reply: florida property owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.