Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Which Boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190990-boat.html)

SeeYouThere 07-14-2008 10:38 AM

Which Boat?

Hello, I am close to buying my first boat. I have found OSO very helpful in educating myself about what is important. My education also included a 140mph ride in a Nor-Tech cat, but that is out of my price range. I want to start with something cheap, so that I can find out what is important to me, and if boating is for me. It will be for day use only, speed is my priority. There are two boats that I am looking at:

A 1986 Wellcraft Nova III with twin 400 ci engines.
A 1988 Baja 226 with a 454 rated for 330hp.

Both are about the same age since rebuild, and the same price ($10K with trailer). I have not seen either of them yet. I would appreciate any comments from anyone about what I could expect from those two models. Thanks.

baddogz28 07-14-2008 10:42 AM

Get a survey so you can see what you may or may not have to dump into either of them to make sure they're reliable.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a cheap sport boat, in the end.

The twins are nice if you're offshore and lose one of the motors, you can still get home.
The single makes DIY repair easier, as there should be a lot more room in the bilge for you to work on it.

I have had my Pantera for a few months now, and I almost regret getting the twins, for a few reasons:

*I have unlimited towing through boat US, so I'm not really that concerned about getting back to the marina if something breaks.
*My potential exposure to pricy repairs is doubled.
*There's not much room in the bilge to work on it... I'm going to have to hire a russian midget contortionist to change the spark plugs.

PARADOX 07-14-2008 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by SeeYouThere (Post 2622373)
Hello, I am close to buying my first boat. I have found OSO very helpful in educating myself about what is important. My education also included a 140mph ride in a Nor-Tech cat, but that is out of my price range. I want to start with something cheap, so that I can find out what is important to me, and if boating is for me. It will be for day use only, speed is my priority. There are two boats that I am looking at:

A 1986 Wellcraft Nova III with twin 400 ci engines.
A 1988 Baja 226 with a 454 rated for 330hp.

Both are about the same age since rebuild, and the same price ($10K with trailer). I have not seen either of them yet. I would appreciate any comments from anyone about what I could expect from those two models. Thanks.

I got two more for you.

1994 Infinity 26' Speed 69.3 with single 454 Merc.(350HP) and bravo 1
1985 Formula 272. Twin 350Merc. mags. (300HP ea. ) 62+. but you can do a lot to the 350's, relatively cheap. 10,000-11,000 with trailer.

PARADOX 07-14-2008 11:00 AM

Baddogz >>>>
*There's not much room in the bilge to work on it... I'm going to have to hire a russian midget contortionist to change the spark plugs.
That's funny.. :) I'm a hungarian midget, contortionist..
Infact.. I might have to sell the Avanti,.. :( I hurt my shoulder so bed.. I might have to go under the knife,, and my throtteling days are over.

Ratickle 07-14-2008 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2622406)
Baddogz >>>>
Infact.. I might have to sell the Avanti,.. :( I hurt my shoulder so bed.. I might have to go under the knife,, and my throtteling days are over.

Put in a foot throttle and "forget about it". You'll get used to it.

Queenie 07-14-2008 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2622406)
Baddogz >>>>

Are you serious? What did you do?

PARADOX 07-14-2008 11:52 AM

Saddly.. serious.. I injured my shoulder 10+years ago.. Almost yanked it right off. It got better but never realy healed right.. and I injured it again a few weeks ago.. getting worse.
I can't even lift the right arm high enough to get my shirt off.
Seeing doc this Thursday.

getchasum111 07-14-2008 12:32 PM

i agree with baddogz28....go with a single for your first boat....have fun and start off slow and learn the ins and outs of boatting and getting use to your own boat....good luck...