Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Repo guys working hard........ (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/191098-boat-repo-guys-working-hard.html)

BAJA WILL 07-17-2008 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jammin' (Post 2626987)
Boating may not be Jammin, but Jammin' is boating!

I'm boating to, and Jammin to some tunes:ernaehrung004::drink:

OH OIL is dropping at least for the minute.

carcrash 07-17-2008 07:28 PM

Well, I'm harldy boating any more. I used to put well over 100 hours per year, even 200 hours per year, on my boats. This last year I've been out 4 times total.

Why? Because I can literally fly to New York or Honolulu round trip for less than driving my boat to Catalina and back -- a LOT less. It just isn't worth the money now. $350 per hour flat out, that's a lot of coin, and I can't even think of what else I can do and spend money that quickly.

And when prices double again within a couple of years and that trip to Catalina costs a grand... Way, way fewer people are going to do it.

Running a thousand horsepower is just not going to be possible for anyone but zillionairs. If you've already got a private jet, then sure, keep driving your twin big blocks.

How about for the rest of us who don't have so many oil wells? The toys are simply going to look a lot different. Nobody buys fancy phaeton horse buggys any more, and no one will buy boats that take many hundreds or thousands of horsepower. Its just over.

However. We had a lot of fun using a skim board instead of skis, doing 6-8 knots instead of 30-40. A huge difference in fuel flow, and perhaps its more fun.

The boats are just going to be very, very different. Those who don't change, will die.

customryder 07-17-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by carcrash (Post 2627220)
Well, I'm harldy boating any more. I used to put well over 100 hours per year, even 200 hours per year, on my boats. This last year I've been out 4 times total.

Why? Because I can literally fly to New York or Honolulu round trip for less than driving my boat to Catalina and back -- a LOT less. It just isn't worth the money now. $350 per hour flat out, that's a lot of coin, and I can't even think of what else I can do and spend money that quickly.

And when prices double again within a couple of years and that trip to Catalina costs a grand... Way, way fewer people are going to do it.

Running a thousand horsepower is just not going to be possible for anyone but zillionairs. If you've already got a private jet, then sure, keep driving your twin big blocks.

How about for the rest of us who don't have so many oil wells? The toys are simply going to look a lot different. Nobody buys fancy phaeton horse buggys any more, and no one will buy boats that take many hundreds or thousands of horsepower. Its just over.

However. We had a lot of fun using a skim board instead of skis, doing 6-8 knots instead of 30-40. A huge difference in fuel flow, and perhaps its more fun.

The boats are just going to be very, very different. Those who don't change, will die.

agree.. my cigarette last year would easily cost 1k a day to run 85mph.. It seems I will be setting more, hince why im looking/leaning toward a criuser... if im going to set may as well set in confort..:party-smiley-004:

27daytona 07-18-2008 11:25 PM

I am as upset as any boater about the fuel costs but fuel is the cheapest part of performance boating. The cost of a performance boat and tow rig bends my knees but after the boat and truck are paid for fuel is minor when compared with the initial purchase cost. Insurance costs for cats dwarf even the fuel cost, yes, fuel is up over last year but filling the tanks adds maybe $200.00 to the day of boating over last year. I have limited my usage but I continue to enjoy my boat whenever I can. Limited usage means the motors will last longer before the required freshening, now that's expensive! Nothing makes me smile more than a good day on the water. Doug

towhead 07-19-2008 06:06 AM

I'm afraid boating has changed forever .......

Five dollar gas (and going higher) and tight credit (for a long time) forcing people to live within their means .......

A "watershed moment" I think is the phrase the news outlets will use .....

Payton 07-19-2008 06:30 AM

Our gas , yesterday droped below $4.00. Now we've got to get diesel to start dropping.

marinaseeker 07-19-2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Payton (Post 2628522)
Our gas , yesterday droped below $4.00. Now we've got to get diesel to start dropping.

Short term repreive in the long march upward.

This pullback will lower fuel prices at the pump by a few cents for now.
Nothing goes straight up continuosly.