Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Repo guys working hard........ >

Boat Repo guys working hard........

Notices

Boat Repo guys working hard........

Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most on here, but if you plan on buying a new boat for half what it sells for today you are mistaken, the MFG's just won't build them. You will not see new boats go any cheaper I can tell you from a dealer we are there, if we can't sell them for a small profit, we just won't order anymore and thus no more to buy. Now if you are looking for a used repo, yes their are and will be some buys out there.

As a matter of fact Jammin is right about one thing get ready for new prices to go up, in 2010 many will look back and say wow I should have got that new boat in 2008!!!

I guess I am tired of hearing the dreamers call and walk in saying they can buy a 2008 30' plus boat for 40K and will I match it, NO<<<<<it is not and won't happen. Of course the same idiots have 500's credit and know more about boats than a dealer!!!!

my 2 Cents

WILL

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 07-16-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to say I agree with Will.

A drum of pure vinylester resin just went up over $100 in the last 3 months. Acetone has doubled in the last 2 years. Some of the Mercruiser engines went (anyone? anyone?). And I received a letter from my interior shop saying the cost for a cockpit and cabin is another 8% starting August 1.

I won't even go into paint and materials for graphics.

Don't expect to see any reduction in new boat pricing unless dealers are moving their inventory to get them off floor plans....

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 07-16-2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I was surprised.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Materials have gone up big time in the last year for us.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Manufacturers got to make all the money in the last 5 years when everything was jammin. Now they will have to tighten up the prices because they will have a lower volume for the next five years. This is a double edge sword because lower volume would require them to make more money per boat.

Mercedes Benz had a price rollback in 1994 (SL500 dropped almost 10K, they realized the car was too much money and they actually lowered the MSRP). If MB can do it, so can some of these boat builders.

As far as lower wages not happening, it is happening nationwide in every industry out there. You can work cheaper or stay home for free is a decision Americans are making from pilots to factory workers to doctors getting dictated by health insurance companies what they can earn.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Pat and Will on this one also. The cost to build isn't going to get any cheaper, think about it its all oil based almost every part on a boat. If the small builder is't buying materials in large bulk its gotta be killing them, look whats happening with the large production builders. Its a shame that the little guys (custom builders) the real artist in this bis will have to slow down and maybe close up, I hate to see it, they are the ones that keep us all exited about the sport and to have them fade away hurts. Good luck Pat and the rest of you keep laying them up as long as you can.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered

I'd suggest that the manufacturers have to figure out ways of taking out costs of manufacturing and operation otherwise the market for their product is about to shrink dramatically.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Registered

`A lot of this is self-inflicted. It's somebody who three years ago made $50-$60,000 and didn't save a penny,'' said Ray Jones, the owner of Long Beach Yacht Sales in California. ``They thought the income would never end. But the income stopped and the toys went away.''
It's a terrible state of the economy currently, but it has been an easily predictable cyclical event for decades.
Older people didn't go hog wild, spending on lavish toy's & luxuries,
they knew how to plan & save.
And they didn't draw out of their homes equity thinking the partys
going to last forever!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
I'd suggest that the manufacturers have to figure out ways of taking out costs of manufacturing and operation otherwise the market for their product is about to shrink dramatically.
What about going back to basics?
For example a 24' w/ a single O/B w/ good race steering (for
safety) maybe K planes and simpler graphics.

We also have re-invented our 28' w/ step bottom,
a basic 525 Merc, race steering, K planes etc ?

Specially the small custom builders are trying to reinvent ourselves. I think that boats have gotten very expensive over the years, Labor = $$$
and it's time to look back b4 we look forward.

Just a thought.....
Later,
pp.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Manufacturers got to make all the money in the last 5 years when everything was jammin. Now they will have to tighten up the prices because they will have a lower volume for the next five years. This is a double edge sword because lower volume would require them to make more money per boat.

Mercedes Benz had a price rollback in 1994 (SL500 dropped almost 10K, they realized the car was too much money and they actually lowered the MSRP). If MB can do it, so can some of these boat builders.

As far as lower wages not happening, it is happening nationwide in every industry out there. You can work cheaper or stay home for free is a decision Americans are making from pilots to factory workers to doctors getting dictated by health insurance companies what they can earn.

Saddly when things are "Jammin" the cost of many things have gone up and MFG's and Dealers have been absorbing the cost's. Fuel, Materials, Insurance, Labor, taxes, buildings, motors, now boating is not Jammin but those costs continue to rise. I guess the point I am stressing, is to any dreamers who think a new 100K boat today is going to cost less next summer, you are mistaken, MFG's cannot build the same boat I have from 1/08 for the same amount today. New boats are as low as their going to get. MFG's and Dealers will not build them to loose money!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Saddly when things are "Jammin" the cost of many things have gone up and MFG's and Dealers have been absorbing the cost's. Fuel, Materials, Insurance, Labor, taxes, buildings, motors, now boating is not Jammin but those costs continue to rise. I guess the point I am stressing, is to any dreamers who think a new 100K boat today is going to cost less next summer, you are mistaken, MFG's cannot build the same boat I have from 1/08 for the same amount today. New boats are as low as their going to get. MFG's and Dealers will not build them to loose money!!!!!!!
Boating may not be Jammin, but Jammin' is boating!

Quick Reply: Boat Repo guys working hard........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.