Notices

Valve noise....?

Old 08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve noise....?

Can I Please get some advice??? I have noticed that my port engine is making some ticking noise; very likely in the valvetrain area....I also had an issue with overheating & just replaced both seawater pumps. Ran the boat in the Jammin Poker run and when I got home I removed the therm. housing & found several large pieces of the old impellors. Now, I removed the valve covers( to clean up and paint), and noticed some white oil(water obviously had mixed with the oil during the brief overheating before the run). Other than a very small amount of the "white milk", the valves and inside the covers looks extremely new. Is it possible that I have a blown head gasket?? or is it likely that the water entered after it boiled, before I replaced the impellors and housings? Maybe after a few minutes of running it will quiet down?
The motor is idling rough and skips when I slightly rev it up....i want to use the boat next weekend; what should I do??
BTW, the noise is coming from the valves closest to the Stainless Marine exhaust risor; and that gasket between manifold & risor is definetely leaking; but it is supposed to be dry..the water jumps over that connection.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I feel bad you are having engine trouble, sounds like maybe a leak-down test is in order for your headgasket situation. But don't be hatin' because everyone is out enjoying the weekend on there watercraft and not able to help. I have reason to believe that I am the only man in ALL of West Michigan NOT enjoying the evening at Coast Guard festival due to my commitment to bailing 1270 bails of hay!
I am not one of the experts, but I am the mechanic of my own boats and my friends. A little more tech. information would not hurt. One question I have is how hot did the motor get? Was this a severe overheat, or only mild? Did you change the oil in the motor, and if so, did you find water in it and how much? Most likely you have boiled the viscosity out of it and the oil has substantially less ability to lubricate and needs to be replaced. It also needs to be inspected for the presensce of water and quantity of it. If the riser gasket is leaking, it must be replaced. If the overheat was severe, the manifolds and risers should be inspectd for leaks and cracks also.
As for the poor idle quality, and throttle response, more information will be required before an "edjucated" guess can be given!

Nick
P.S.- Try and be one of the green emoticons, and not a red one!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What motors, year, hours, etc. More info would help a bunch.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Registered

Did you hear any detonation? Possibly a broken valve spring? Possibly blew a head gasket, that is why you are seeing water in the oil.

Definitely need somemore info. as stated by spazboz and Sea-Dated.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Registered

I know how you feel, I just went through something similar. My advise to you would be not to run the boat until you take it into your mechanic because you don't want to take the chance of hurting anything.

What just happend in my scenario was I heard a knock as soon as I started it up and didn't know what it was. Took my boat (500EFI) into the shop and one of my piston rings have frozen onto the piston on the #6 cylinder. That was causing a knock. Had I run the boat instead of playing it safe I would have had to bore and replace the whole bottom end, instead of easier fix.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
WTF??....Where are all you experts now? I really need some hints as to what I should do....
2PM on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in early August. Where are we? Well, sitting here at the computer waiting to answer your questions!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
2PM on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in early August. Where are we? Well, sitting here at the computer waiting to answer your questions!
NICE ONE!!Good point...

I just figured when I got back in last night I would have a plethora of info!

Specs:
1999AT with 350magMPI's just hit 400hrs; Bravo drives
The port engine has been making a valvetrain noise on & off for several hours(20 or so); barely notieable tick-tick now a knockety-knock...
engines overheated for just 4-5 minutes before I got back to the dock & replaced both sea-water pumps, housings and plates included. Then we ran the Jammin run & everything was fine. Got back & removed the thermostat housings to get the impellor pieces out; cleaned up and painted housings as well. Decided to remove the valve covers to clean up & paint also....noticed less than a thimble of white oil in the strbd. side of port engine...the side that has had the tick-tick....knock-knock. When removing the Stainless Marine exhaust risor to get the valve cover I noticed the gasket is bad. Can I use liquid gasket in that area?
It is a dry area, supposed to be anyway. What about the additives that guarantee to stop noisey lifters?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered

Oh yeah, no detonation and no water in oil pan, just a little bit in the valvetrain area; hardly enough to mention...but it was def. water/oil mix. And the water entered as a result of extreme heat and expansion?
Also, if the oil(Mobil1 fully synthetic) boiled would changing it make the engine quieter?
Thanks for info...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use liquid gasket material on my exhaust. Riser gaskets are very important. Do not run that engine until you know the complete damage and fix it right. good luck
Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin

having a le' royal

Quick Reply: Valve noise....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.