Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinion on Boating Magazines......... >

Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

Notices

Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

Old 07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been hooked on performance baoting for far more years than I can count. Even remember when Powerboat was in black and white. Couple years ago i stopped subscriptions to PB, Hot Boat, and everything else I could get my hands on. Don't miss them. As others stated, too much of the same stuff, and too many boats far beyond my price range. Only way I'd come back to magazines is if theyd focus on re-builds, modifications, and boats within reach of the "average" Joe. Don't think it'll ever happen.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 151 Likes on 18 Posts

im totally disappointed with all the mags, ive contacted hot boat and powerboat about the content in the mags but they are way to concerned about their advertisers. i dont see it changing anytime soon and i will not be renewing this year
Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

I did not renew any of my subscriptions, all expired as of this year and will not spend the money for the same ole BS.
OOS is the best place for information pics and up to date info in our sport. My $02
Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

HORBA has offered to supply both photos and stories to the magazines about the history of offshore racing. They seem to be responding and they seem to be getting feedback from the readers that they like the stuff we have done so far.

Our HORBA Board Members already have written a number of articles and columns in both Extreme Boat Magazine and Hot Boat, not to mention Michael Aronow who wrote "King of Thunderboat Row" If they ask for it we can produce.

If you guys like this stuff, let them know. I have been talking with one of the magazines that you mention here about doing a "History Page" with a photo and a story about a famous race, driver or boat. The same magazine wants to do some performance tests, on some of the older restored race boats. They are getting it, it just takes time.

To find some of this stuff, go to the HORBA site and click on "Stories". www.historicraceboats.com

Also look at the column that Brownie writes every month in Hot Boat....funny stuff, but true stories.
Attached Thumbnails Opinion on Boating Magazines.........-horba-flyer0001-small-.jpg  
Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Opinions on boating magazines??

OK, here ya go.

I like all the boating magazines. I like everything that has to do with offshore boating. I like reading about different stuff in different areas and checking out what other people are doing around the country and world. I like seeing new model boats and what the factory brings to trials, shows, evals, etc.

I'm not especially crazy about tow boats, hydros, cracker box, or any other type of small race boats. I do like anything offshore style though.

When I get to an article on a boat I'm not interested in, I skip it. I read through the test reports on new boats to see the different speeds, costs, power packeges, etc. I think I'm smart enough to read between the lines of the articles when the writers have something they want to say and understand that they can't always come out and say, "this boats a piece of sh!t". In a warm and cozy color filled world where everything is right, it'd be nice to be able to come straight out and bash the sh!tty boats out there. But in all honesty, that's really not what testing and performance trials are about. They're about reporting the facts and findings.

I actually enjoy thumbing through the advertisements of boat builders, engine builders, after market add-on companies and anything else that has to do with boating and checking out new products and what companies have to offer.

OSO, Performance boats forums, hotboat forums, riverdaves place, scope forums, scream and fly and all the other boating forums are great and offer a lot of info. But there's always more. And there's always info that is provided in the magazines each month that I don't see anywhere else.

The performance marine publishing industry is a tough business to be in. And a thankless f*cking job most of the time from what I've seen. I don't fault any of the mags for doing business the way they do it. I think each one feels they have their nitch. I say, more power to 'em!

Is there things I'd like to see changed in the magazines? Sure. I've even mentioned some of those things to some of the editors and publishers of magazines. Sometimes they're added, Sometimes not. But I'll keep on checking the magazines out either way.

My opinion is:

I'd rather there be various magazines on the sport we love so much with their faults, than to have no performance magazines to b!tch about at all.

That's just my .02....Then again, I could be totally f*cking wrong.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered

Maybe you have subscribed to the wrong magazine. My wife and I started this mag almost a year ago for some of the same reasons Though RPM is no Powerboat or Extreme Boats "yet" Our publication may be right along the lines of what your looking for. I would be more than happy to send any of you a free copy to check out. We don't have alot of acvertisers so theres alot of the mag that comes out of my wallet but it's a high quality magazine at a descent price that covers the aspects that some of the others don't! Don't get me wrong though were just a 2 person operation, so Im not saying it's the best out there but it,s pretty damn good !
"Just a couple of performance boating fans w/ skill's"
Old 07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Registered

How about somemore info or maybe a website

Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Opinions on boating magazines??

OK, here ya go.

I like all the boating magazines. I like everything that has to do with offshore boating. I like reading about different stuff in different areas and checking out what other people are doing around the country and world. I like seeing new model boats and what the factory brings to trials, shows, evals, etc.

I'm not especially crazy about tow boats, hydros, cracker box, or any other type of small race boats. I do like anything offshore style though.

When I get to an article on a boat I'm not interested in, I skip it. I read through the test reports on new boats to see the different speeds, costs, power packeges, etc. I think I'm smart enough to read between the lines of the articles when the writers have something they want to say and understand that they can't always come out and say, "this boats a piece of sh!t". In a warm and cozy color filled world where everything is right, it'd be nice to be able to come straight out and bash the sh!tty boats out there. But in all honesty, that's really not what testing and performance trials are about. They're about reporting the facts and findings.

I actually enjoy thumbing through the advertisements of boat builders, engine builders, after market add-on companies and anything else that has to do with boating and checking out new products and what companies have to offer.

OSO, Performance boats forums, hotboat forums, riverdaves place, scope forums, scream and fly and all the other boating forums are great and offer a lot of info. But there's always more. And there's always info that is provided in the magazines each month that I don't see anywhere else.

The performance marine publishing industry is a tough business to be in. And a thankless f*cking job most of the time from what I've seen. I don't fault any of the mags for doing business the way they do it. I think each one feels they have their nitch. I say, more power to 'em!

Is there things I'd like to see changed in the magazines? Sure. I've even mentioned some of those things to some of the editors and publishers of magazines. Sometimes they're added, Sometimes not. But I'll keep on checking the magazines out either way.

My opinion is:

I'd rather there be various magazines on the sport we love so much with their faults, than to have no performance magazines to b!tch about at all.

That's just my .02....Then again, I could be totally f*cking wrong.
Tank- I'd feel that way too if one of the Boating magazines spent $10K+ fixing my boat for free like they did your Top Gun
Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R.P.M. Magazine
Maybe you have subscribed to the wrong magazine. My wife and I started this mag almost a year ago for some of the same reasons Though RPM is no Powerboat or Extreme Boats "yet" Our publication may be right along the lines of what your looking for. I would be more than happy to send any of you a free copy to check out. We don't have alot of acvertisers so theres alot of the mag that comes out of my wallet but it's a high quality magazine at a descent price that covers the aspects that some of the others don't! Don't get me wrong though were just a 2 person operation, so Im not saying it's the best out there but it,s pretty damn good !
"Just a couple of performance boating fans w/ skill's"
Good for you. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered

We're an offshore racing magazine based out of LOTO and are all about the fast boats. We cover offshore racing and poker runs---anything fast and on water! Our next issue will have a write up on White Lightning--one of the sweetest Apaches on LOTO's waters. Great history. The website is still in progress, but should give you a general idea of what we're about. http://www.rpmboatmag.com

Quick Reply: Opinion on Boating Magazines.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.