Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What do you do for shade? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/191549-what-do-you-do-shade.html)

t500hps 07-21-2008 03:37 PM

I have used an anchor shade for our 382 but have started carrying the factory bimini top. The bimini is 8 ft long and covers most of the cockpit. It lays on the sunpad or is propped up on the poles out of the way and can be left up shading the cockpit for WOT runs!!!

RollWithIt 07-21-2008 03:41 PM

I have a bimini top for my boat. So that works for me. But the Anchor shade looks like it would work.

BlackJack58 07-21-2008 03:42 PM

Quick and easy solution - I would probably just stand behind _____(insert name)_______ . :evilb:

Knot 4 Me 07-21-2008 03:45 PM

I've got 2 white anchor shades. I don't need 2 (one was given to me by a friend who sold his boat). Let me know if you want to try one "risk free" as they say!

Panther 07-21-2008 03:46 PM

Sorry but IMHO Anchor Shade sucks..... unless you live in an area where there's NO WIND.....which if you live near the ocean is ohhhhhh.....NEVER....

I bought an Anchor shade two months ago based on recommendations here and other places and it broke the 3rd or 4th time I used it due to a 10-15 mph sea breeze....

It's not fun when you're trying to enjoy your day with the family and the wind blows your anchorshade over with a 9 month old kid sitting on the back seat and then the umbrella wont close because it's fukked up and you have to use a pair of dikes to cut it apart....

I took the umbrella apart and replaced the CHEEZY AZZ aluminim wire they have holding it all together and replaced it with a stainless steel shift cable....

Total waste of $150.. get a bimini if wind is a problem for you..

florida gator 07-21-2008 03:53 PM

I have seen the anchor shade and if I didn't want to drill holes to mount any type of cover it seems good. Question though was what do I use?? I have an arch with a bimini extension that only gets unfolded when I have other people that desire shade. I typically leave it wide open to the sun!!

BlackJack58 07-21-2008 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2630256)
...then the umbrella wont close because it's fukked up and you have to use a pair of dikes to cut it apart....

That can't be easy...

Sydwayz 07-21-2008 04:17 PM

I had a Lost Bwana, and gave it away to a friend that had a boat with a 7' beam. The Lost Bwana is heavier material, and heavier duty. However, the arms do not open as far as the Anchor Shade. Thus, the Lost Bwana gives you more of a tent shape, and less cockpit coverage.

I don't put the Anchor Shade up if its windy. Chances are the wind is enough to keep one cool vs. the Anchor Shade.

bmanafort 07-21-2008 07:13 PM

Anchor shade. Bought mine at West Marine

bob_t 07-21-2008 07:22 PM

I have had an Anchor Shade for several years and like it. My friend bought one of the Lost Bwana's a year or so ago, because it was cheaper, about 1/2 the price of the Anchor Shade. Earlier this year he his threw his in the lake as he was cursing and swearing at it. He has an Anchor Shade now. Not saying they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I think they work pretty good. And yes, if it is windy, the Anchor Shade frames will buckle/kink. Mine buckled and we fixed that by TIG tack welding pieces of stainless steel rod in the U channel. I wouldn't recommend using it in heavy wind, and we only use it while anchored. :D