Notices

Michigan City to Chicago

Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan City to Chicago

I would like some advice. Thinking of taking our 2005 Baja 275 up to Michigan City Aug. 9 for a 3 day weekend. My wife said something about how far is it to Chicago. I know my boat is on the small side if the lake isn't smooth. Would I have any problems trying that trip if the weather is right? I know the weather can change in a hurry. What would be the perfect weather for my wife and two kids and me to make the trip to Chicago. I'm guessing my wife is thinking of Navy Pier and go shoping. Also where in Michigan City is the best place to put in at? Is the boat ramp there at the beach open? I know during the Boat show they have it closed.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I have a buddy that used to make that trip in a 232 Rinker cuddy. Just got to watch the weather close.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

can't help you mich on the Michigan City thing but I would find Andy (magic medicine) he launches out of there all the time....but you picked a great week-end to come.....http://www.columbiayachtclub.com/
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well, you can always follow along the shore if you're concerned. We've made the trip many times back and forth and it depends if you follow GPS coord or the beach line. We typically leave from St Joe or New Buffalo and the fastest we've been is 45-50 minutes on flat water at 65+. Typically, it's longer than that for us, but we're not in a rush normally. We usually plan 60-75 min from St Joe to Chicago.

The good news is your gas investment for the trip will probably seem insignificant. That is, once the actual shopping trip commences.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

We've made the trip in 5'ers. But rollers. You can navigate up and down those with confidence. It's the closer, hull crushers that are tough. That's much more intense when travelling. Make srue to plan the weather and hope for winds from the South! North winds make it rough. And if you're head with the waves, it'll be smoother as well. Watch the forecasts for the wind directions and speed, which will in large part dictate the wave activity.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

There was a map posted with the headings and direction for the stops on the Chicago Poker Run. The map is dead-on with perfect directions. Hammond, Michigan City, and DT Chicacgo are all on there.

I looked briefly, but can't find it.

Anyone?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info and I'll look thru the poker run forum tonight and see if I can find it.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Gotcher map right here dude!

Be aware, though...parking a boat down there is gonna cost ya! No slippage at Navy Pier (although it would be an AWESOME idea for the City)...you'd have to put in at Diversey or Burnham for a transient slip...at least $50 for a couple hours if they have room...then you've got a cab ride to get to the Pier or Michigan Ave. Or...sign up for the Feel the Power Poker Run that we'll be doing on the 9th like BZ posted...$125 bones get you and entry and a slip for the night at the Columbia Yacht Club...plus you'd get to party with Team Bad Influence!
Attached Thumbnails Michigan City to Chicago-pokerrunmap.jpg  
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 32fever
The good news is your gas investment for the trip will probably seem insignificant. That is, once the actual shopping trip commences.
lol . . . so true
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered

Check the weather and go along the shore. Buy a chart and if the weather were to turn use your chart to duck into a harbor. Make sure you have all of the saftey equptment aboard. If you have not already think of taking a boating course. Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxillary offer great courses.

I run my boat straight across the Lake a couple of times a year, though twin engines, it si fun if you are safe and smart about it.

Quick Reply: Michigan City to Chicago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.