V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Notices

V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Happy New Year!

I'm looking to get a Formula 272. I have always had runabout boats no bigger that 18ft. I've been searching to find out how effective offshere hulls are in larger waves. I may look for a 292 or even a 311 if the 272 wouldn't be quite as good in the rougher seas. Is there any info online or any books that go into any detail about offshore hulls? Any personal experiences would be great. I'm looking for a boat that is worthy and safe to cruise down to California from the Georgia Straight in Washington area.

Any boat recomendations?

Thanks

Art
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have personal experience with the 272, it is a great riding boat for its size. It is a full 27 footer, and would measure out a solid 30 feet by todays standards (include the platform). It's heavy, has tall sides (big freeboard) and in general a safe boat. I wouldn't hesitate taking one from Florida to the Bahamas on a decent weather day.

I will own one someday, I honestly think they are the best deal in the boating market.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Art_H
Happy New Year!

I'm looking to get a Formula 272. I have always had runabout boats no bigger that 18ft. I've been searching to find out how effective offshere hulls are in larger waves. I may look for a 292 or even a 311 if the 272 wouldn't be quite as good in the rougher seas. Is there any info online or any books that go into any detail about offshore hulls? Any personal experiences would be great. I'm looking for a boat that is worthy and safe to cruise down to California from the Georgia Straight in Washington area.

Any boat recomendations?

Thanks

Art
I owned a 1989 Formula F-311 with T454mags, summer 1990 through summer 1994. It was a good solid running boat, ran 64mph, light on fuel, and handled the Atlantic Ocean off NJ very well. It had a conventional straight V bottom, trim tabs, but no hydraulic steering; however, at 60 mph, that was adequate.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know that I'd want to try coastal navigation in the Pacific Northwest without an oceangoing vessel. it's not like the East Coast where you can duck in & out of the ICW.

Under 30' is a lake boat on all but the smoother days. Not that you can't run them in bigger stuff, it's just going to border somewhere between uncomfortable and unsafe, depending what the water is like. Out in the ocean, I personally wouldn't be comfortable in something less that around a 38'. I also wouldn't venture out on a cruise like this alone. Buy the Chapman book. It might save your life.

As far as which boat- the Formula is a good choice. They're built very robustly and with quality materials. They're not going to be the fastest but they'll certainly be reliable.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris Sunkin,

Thanks for the book recomendation, I think I'll pick it up today.

Would a 30ft be somewhat comfortable in 6-7ft seas? If not, what length would be?

Thanks

Art

Lookin' forward to that book.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Your going to need a 42 plus to be somewhat comfortable in water like that and be able to run. Some smaller boats handle thats size decent but you have to go slow.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get beat up pretty bad in 6-7 footers in a 30 foot boat. I wouldn't even try it.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris Sunkin,

Would a 30ft be somewhat comfortable in 6-7ft seas? If not, what length would be?

Thanks

Art

6-7 is big, assuming 'real' 6-7 and not what people think are 6-7 (I swear 99/100 boaters over-state wave size by 2 times).

If you want to take extended trips in that water I have to suggest a bigger all around boat. Like a sportfish, and at least mid 40 foot range.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris Sunkin,

Thanks

Art

I owned a 272 for 3 years and loved every part of it. Mine had small blocks in it. Full of fuel on good day with my wife and i 58. The 272 with SBC DRY was 5700 pounds. My rig was comfortable in 2-4's all day! Best cruise was 3300@40 MPH GPS with 23 Mirage props

Last edited by Car Biz; 01-07-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
6-7 is big, assuming 'real' 6-7 and not what people think are 6-7 (I swear 99/100 boaters over-state wave size by 2 times).
I thought I was the only one who noticed that

If anyone has been in true 6-7' seas they know it is no joke! A 30' boat ain't going to cut it. You say somewhat comfortable in 6-7ft seas.....well I say very few will do it. Might want to look into a 46' rough rider or a 47 Apache. Like Chris said 38' or larger is the min. for what you want.

Quick Reply: V Hull Lengths - How Seaworthy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.