Notices

Smart Craft help

Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Craft help

Ya know the best part about boats… there’s always something to do and you’re never bored. I’m in the Bahamas and the local Merc dealer only handles outboards, so I’m turning to the OSO board for advice.
I ordered two Smartcraft SC1000 System Monitors and wouldn’t you know it, the installation is not going “smooth”. Just found out that one engine needs to be programmed to be the "none starboard" engine. Does anyone know if the same tool used on Verados could be used to program my 377 Merc 08’ engines?? If so, is it straight forward… because the outboard dealers not to accommodating, and I would basically need to know what to do.
Second question…
It looks like the System Monitors show the outdrive trim level using something built into the drive( I think I’ve seen it on the side). If so , is there any reason not to take off the mechanical indicators and cables? Taking those cables out would free up some room in the rigging tube so it would be easier to get the Smart Craft cables to the helm.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You are correct about programming the engines. They both come from the factory thinking they are SB engines. I do not know the tool needed to do so, but I would imagine it is a laptop with the Mercury Software. I don't know if the Rinda tool can make this adjustment. You will need a Mercury Mechanic to confirm what needs to be done.

As for the mechanical indicators; leave them installed if at all possible. They will be more reliable and perhaps more accurate than the electronic ones that come with the drives.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks sywayz. Any Merc mechanics out there???