Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    29 Fountain
    I  Voted

Fish finders as depth finders

I had a digital on my other boat, it was so all over the place I never really trusted it, went on a guys fishin boat with a finder, nice view of the bottom contours, you KNEW it was working,essential for someone like me who likes to explore and tows all over to new places, anyone use one?do they shoot through the hull?some of them are aimable? specific models? thanks Doug

My Boats:
    1988 32' Pachanga
    Boating where I do (Chain O' Lakes) where the water is an average of 4-5 feet in depth, I REALLY like my Hummingbird fish finder. Built in alarm, lights at night, gives me the bottom contours so I can remeber where in the lakes the deepest parts are....it's great.

Only good to about 20-25mph though - after that it just won't read anything. My transducer is mounted on the outside hull - I guess it depends on the model and your hull as to whether it can be mounted in the engine compartment.

Boating Fool
    In our fish and ski, we have a garmin 165 fish finder. It is digital with floor mapping. The top speed is only about 55-60 (Our slow boat), which at that speed the mapping can't keep up, but the depth reading is accurate since it is just a number in the top corner. The displays can be also changed to where it can be viewed as a flasher and etc. The transducer is also mounted inside the hull.