Notices

Blue Run Dry Impellers

Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blue Run Dry Impellers

What is everyones experience with these? I bought 2 brand new run dry's and with less than 10 hours i smoked one! and the boat has never even run dry!?

any other stories?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

About a month ago the impeller on one of my 625 Ilmors gave out. I tried a blue one in it's place. The pump was useless with the blue impeller in there. I mean it wouldn't draw ANY water.

Put a new Merc impeller back in and everything was fine. For my application the blue one was useless.

On the other hand a friend with a 37 Sea Ray tried one in his 454 and it's worked just fine. It runs slightly less pressure and a little hotter than the merc impeller. But so far so good.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never seen one live up to the claims..
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the blue one's but I did the KPM run dry and wouldn't do it again. On the hose I would have to rev the engine some to get it to prime. Never had to do that with the stock pump. Doug
Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a BLUE impeller during my winter maintenance. It`s been great so far this season, but it did seem like it took a while to prime on the first start this year.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Gentlemen,

Since I distribute the Globe Run Dry Impellers I can share my experience's w/ you. To date there haven't been any customer reported failures or returns.

Keep in mind just because they fit the shaft or housing doesn't mean they are a direct replacement.

The Run Dry's seem to work fine w/ stock Mercury power w/ the stock Mercury Plastic Pump Housing or the Bronze Jabsco aftermarket replacement. 500 EFI, 525's 600's etc.

My personal experience is this, while the Run Dry's are silicone impregnated & remain more pliable & slippery they also tend to have less crush when installed in high performance engines or pumps. The larger pumps & hull pick ups that require moving more water don't seem to show as much pressure on the gauge & I believe thats b/c of the crush & the fact that they aren't as stiff so they struggle to build pressure in the larger pumps w/ the large strainers & hoses (1" and above) Stock Mercury plumbing is a little smaller which allows the impeller to maintain pressure w/o the demand for moving more volume.

My Ilmor 625's came w/ KE / Hardin cast pumps. I changed to the Run Dry's & they worked fine but I had standard Merc Sportmaster Shortie Lowers & LWP's. You could feel the difference when you assembled them just spinning them by hand. Much freer. I also was given a set of KPM Annodized billet alum pumps. Very nice looking pieces & easy to work on but since the pumps themselves were labled as Run Dry & had a little larger ID coupled w/ the annodized internals there wasn't enough crush & the slippery Run Dry's just didn't perform well. I'm pretty sure KPM is defunct but I definitely don't recommend them for thaeir pumps.

People ask me all the time, "How Long Will These Run Dry's Last" & my response is the same. It's difficult to compare apples for apples as some people boat insalt water, others fresh, some dry store or trailer which requires priming at start up, some have sea strainers that make priming easier, some beach their boats & suck up trash, etc, etc. So unless one does their own back to back test keeping all things equal I'd say it's difficult to say.

I replace mine annually regardless of how much or little boating I do & regardless of the type I do.

Last edited by NASCAT; 07-27-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran them for a while in my stock 525's and began to notice my exhaust headers were turning colors ( cyl. numbers 5 and 7 on both engines). I then called CMI and verified the restrictors were correct, which they were. I polished the headers and installed merc impellers and all is fine. I don't think they pump as much water.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Registered

i run them in my 850sc and have no problems!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

Globe impellers are a pretty good product, but their rundry time is cumulative. Once they have reached a total of 15 mins rundry they are shot and need to be replaced as head pressure is severly reduced.
KPM are not defunct as they are still happily trading away in the UK mainly to the commercial market and to their military customers. They were unfortunately another business that got "tricked" and so temporarily pulled out of the US market.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the Merc impellors , we got 2 weekends out of the blue ones and never started it dry .... dont know anyone who has had good luck with them

Quick Reply: Blue Run Dry Impellers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.