Notices

In the Ocean

Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys finally get moved down? Decide on storage yet?

Flare gun kit is easiest to meet USCG reqs
150' anchor line with 6' of chain
Consider a second small anchor and maybe 50' depending on your plans. Lots of people down here back in instead of beaching; or sometimes a stern anchor is nice to deal with tides.

Chances are you'll find yourself not seeing as much time in the ocean as you'd think. Depends on how much you like a bouncy ride. In Broward and Palm Beach you'll find most of the time you'll be in the ICW hanging out at places like Peanut Island, Lake Boca, Shooters, John U Lloyd State Park.

You need to spend a little time checking out the inlets and getting some pointers from people that have been through them. Smaller inlets like Boynton, Boca, Hillsboro can have swift tide action and they have some tricky areas that need to be avoided. Larger inlets like Port Everglades, Government Cut, Haulover can have swift tide AND big rollers when the conditions are right.

Depending on where I'm headed, I like checking out webcams:
www.lakebocacam.com and has a nice little radar picture and a link to bocasurfcam.com
You can see some other beach cams from http://www.forcee.com/beach_cams.shtml Note the boca Inlet cam hasn't worked since last year.

If you end up at Marina One in Deerfield, I live about 20mins due west of there. There's a free ramp just up river and there's a few of us that launch out of there. A few more local boaters launch further north in Delray or Boynton.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

One detail that I haven't heard mentioned yet is the tide. If you tie up to anything other than a floating dock you have to know where the tide is. You don't want your boat hanging from the lines
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
One detail that I haven't heard mentioned yet is the tide. If you tie up to anything other than a floating dock you have to know where the tide is. You don't want your boat hanging from the lines
yes and along with that be aware that some of those cuts can get pretty ugly when the tide rolls in and out.

and once out in the ocean look out for subs (no chit)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tides! Definitely something to be aware of. Nothing worse than sitting high & dry while people pass you all afternoon- and evening. The good thing is the problem will resolve itself in 12 hours.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
and once out in the ocean look out for subs (no chit)

There's a comedian in every crowd I don't think we are ever gonna hear the end of the sub story
Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
in addition to knowing how to tie your boat up it's makes good sense to know what the tides are doing because in some cases it may dictate when you decide to leave or enter an inlet......

Outgoing tide with an onshore wind thru an inlet = SNOT!

Offshore wind with an incoming tide in a large bay = SNOT

On rough days it's best to plan your trips before or after the tides start ripping!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn I got some learning to do. It'll be a good time though.
Handfulz, I'm heading down Aug 16. The wife is already there. The boat will be in MarinaOne. Oh yeah and not to turn this into an employment ad but I'll be looking for a job too so in between submitting resumes and interveiws I'll be cruising the ICW. It'll be tough for awhile.