Notices

Nada boat values?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Add options well lets think about it, would you add for a convertable car?? How about a Z06 package on a Vette??? Yes add the options, unless you are only shopping stripped boats!!!!!!!!!!

K-Planes, depthfinders, Removable Carpet, full covers, Oh and lets not forget TRAILERS (their not free), Motors, Props, Built in AC, Heads, Shore power, Hydrolic Steering, Power Bolsters, and on>>>>>>>>>>>

That all being said condition of the boat should weight a big part of value also.

I guess its a little sore subject for me, we order all of our boats nicely equiped, and a few times a year I will have people price our equiped boat againist a stripped piecs of fiberglass with a prop. Then the quote come in "I want your boat but at their price, can you match it" Nope. Options can end up being a significant part of the price.

WILL

Problem is that most of the options are killed by age/depreciation. As an example, electronics of ANY kind are worth virtually nothing after the 1 year.

Trailers are worth a "flat" number on trade depending on the age, starting at half the new price. There are 2 sides to the numbers though, average retail and ACV (actual cash value). Trading will get ACV, which is generally 20+% less than low wholesale as listed in price books.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Problem is that most of the options are killed by age/depreciation. As an example, electronics of ANY kind are worth virtually nothing after the 1 year.

Trailers are worth a "flat" number on trade depending on the age, starting at half the new price. There are 2 sides to the numbers though, average retail and ACV (actual cash value). Trading will get ACV, which is generally 20+% less than low wholesale as listed in price books.

Dollar,

I agree that some may not hold the value they did new, however, wouldn't you agree two boats identical, one with AC, power Bolsters, trailer, SS props, full cover, bigger motor, would be worth more???????? How about a boat with 6.2's vs 525efi motors, thats an option, Bravo1 vs Bravo XR drives??

A trailer valued at half is still worth more than no trailer!!

My point is it does matter, how much is really up to how important either wanting the option or not wanting the option.
:-)

WILL
Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

engine and drives are definately adds...will were speaking of pre-owned boats NOT NEW...any marina i've ever dealt with either wholesales or retail...they all use nada retail minus 20%, trailers approx 1/2 of new as bill said. the only things my friends that are dealers add for are, AC, genny, enigine upgrades if FACTORY and trailers..
Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Engine options are critical, the most important part over the boat itself and sometimes more important.

I guess what I'm saying is that really there is only about a 5% (or less) diff between apples to apples boats if real value is placed
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

The real reason not to add options is because NADA gives inflated values to start with- standard boat w/ correct power will be a more accurate price than adding all the options.

Add all the options and take 20% off that price or don't add any options and come with the same price 10 minutes sooner..
Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
I never price with the options. Try boat/us pricing. suppose to be a little more accurate. http://www.boatus.com/buyer/valueform.asp
wow i like this one best, priced my boat way higher than nada

does anybody have a subscription to soldboats.com

i would think this would be the best tool
as it shows actual sales prices

just wondering if anybody uses that as a guide
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

I add the engine power upgrade and thats about it. Most of the options listed on nada are standard on most boats.
Also, they don't differentiate between a lot of options. There is a big difference between KPlanes and Bennets, a custom 6k stereo vs CD player and 4 speakers, custom fit full cover, etc.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 AM

I guess I am loosing this discussion??????? Again I am not saying all the options should be treated like the cost of new. However they should be taken into consideration.

HUMM I bet most of you will feel different when someone prices your boat with the stock motor and nothing else???? Tells you all those K-planes, AC, trailer, props, covers,Platforms, Gages, upgraded graphics, switchable exhaust, are worth nothing????

OK either way, hope you find the boat you want, with the options you want at the price you want.

WILL
Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
I guess I am loosing this discussion??????? Again I am not saying all the options should be treated like the cost of new. However they should be taken into consideration.

HUMM I bet most of you will feel different when someone prices your boat with the stock motor and nothing else???? Tells you all those K-planes, AC, trailer, props, covers,Platforms, Gages, upgraded graphics, switchable exhaust, are worth nothing????

OK either way, hope you find the boat you want, with the options you want at the price you want.

WILL
Will you are missing the point, if the boat comes standard with "options" like k-planes, props, covers then you can't double count the values. If all of the used boats out there have k-planes then it is a moot point to add them as an option.
Like pricing two Corvettes and adding power windows despite the fact all late model Corvettes have power windows.

Dealers won't pay anything for all of those "options" anyway in a trade in. In my mind options are power, drives (like #6's), full custom paint (not decal kit or factory paint like Fountain does), a/c and generator. Stereo/ Electronics/ Paint are really pennies on the dollar investments on the used market. A 40K paint scheme, 10K stereo will never interpret into 50K more in the asking price.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Exactly Jupiter. If I ACV a trade for lets say 200K and it has a MYCO trailer, 50K custom paint and a new 20K stereo I may go 210-215K. Thats IT.

This also applies to the retail side.

Quick Reply: Nada boat values?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.