Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What draws you to the brand boat you have? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19208-what-draws-you-brand-boat-you-have.html)

DONZIMAN2 03-03-2002 02:27 PM

It has been an ongoing discussion in our boat group. The debate over step VS. no step will rage forever. And the builders advertising is just as interesting. Having spent a lot of time on Recks boat and watching it this last summer I will say that Sunsation has a great design there. The boat is really nice and handles the bay like a champ. Talk to you later Trout. DMAN2

Mate 229 03-03-2002 03:51 PM

Moved to Virginia from SW Florida not thinking it would be much of a boating area, well it is! Decided to get something small and easy to trailer. Found a mint 229 Checkmate and bought it just over a year ago. Great little boat that runs low 70's and handles relatively rough water with a 24 degree bottom. The problem is as with all boats when I put her in the water she shrunk!!
Now looking to move up to larger Checkmate, Velocity or Fountain.

C_Spray 03-03-2002 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
28' Mannerfelt w/600DPX[list=1][*]Got a great price on the hull and engine package as a "fixer-upper".[*]Hull was VERY nice - vacuum-bagged epoxy/kevlar.[*]Bobby Moore agreed to rig it for me.[*]Very unique boat with impressive efficiency and performance. (Tough around the docks, though...)[/list=1]

C_Spray 03-03-2002 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2001 Formula with genny, A/C, hot water, TV/VCR, Volvo 600's.[list=1][*]Formula had a lot of experience with cruisers, and that's how I planned to use the boat.[*]The quality and "feel" of the boat - like a Lexus or Mercedes.[*]The people at Formula - First Class.[*]Resale value and reputation for quality.[*]Value for the money.[/list=1]

pullmytrigger 03-03-2002 08:46 PM

Troutly............Sunsation step hull?.........good memory:D ........you a cop or sumthin?:D :D

46tomcat 03-03-2002 09:44 PM

wanted to go faster only one way to go and thats with a skater and sterling engines.dont know what the next step is?

merlin540 03-03-2002 10:03 PM

skater and american offshore the only way to run hard. thats why i own both.:D

DONZIMAN2 03-03-2002 10:09 PM

Merlin, What part of Cinci are you from. I was born in Mariemont. My dad worked for GM there before they transferred him to Marion Indiana in 1958. Still have family in Loveland, Milford, Batavia, and BURG. My Mom was raised right across from the old outdoor theater off of 28. Her and my dad graduated from Goshen High School. Talk to you soon. DMAN2

Reckless32 03-04-2002 09:54 AM

Merlin, I grew up in Harrison/West Harrison OH/IN (it's on the state line) just off I-74...

Troutly, step smep. As long as I can turn it on a dime without sticking the nose way up in the air or spinning out I don't care what the bottom has. Speed? From ALL designs? That's my only contention (we could start another intellectual step post :D) The Vortex design gives me that (not to mention makes for great beached-up step-scientific-analysis talk) and as with the major benefit of steps in general, I guess maybe it does help me get on plane quicker. But I can't prove it...:D

I'm impressed you remember my opinion on steps (I'm with T2x) and like the Dman2 sez, it'll rage on and on no doubt....;)

BTW Toutly, I just ordered one of those Heartland radar guns on the "gun" post. What's your opinion on these cheapies?

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Caincando1 03-04-2002 01:28 PM

Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Got me on he water and kept me from having to bum rides. It's a one of a kind(at least mine is). Did I mention it was cheap.