Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying our first "performance" boat >

Buying our first "performance" boat

Notices

Buying our first "performance" boat

Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=DollaBill;2642142]Again, I'm not trying to be rude or pick a fight.

She's got Loooooooong nails BIG Daddy
Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

[QUOTE=RunninHotRacing158;2642285]
Originally Posted by DollaBill
Again, I'm not trying to be rude or pick a fight.

She's got Loooooooong nails BIG Daddy
Good . PM box is emptied. Have a great wknd Runnin.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck
I don't want to come across if I was trying to compare it to my Skater. I'm sure there are alot of people who love them and they work great.

My Skater is 100% the sweetest boat I have owned. I have literally replaced 99% percent of the mechanicals and it runs on rails............the paint on the other hand.........I think Cheetah has it beat.
You definitely didn't come across that way, I was just complimenting your boat.

You didn't say though if it is the one Trident painted? I'm thinking that's what the paint joke was?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Again, I'm not trying to be rude or pick a fight. I just think that a knowledgable insurance rep is a very important part of everyones boating adventures and should, theoretically, know more than their customers.
Face it, you are a bully and you get off on messing with people on this website. Especially the women. What's up with that?

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
just remember all this low balling stuff is affecting your boat also,,,,,
I know EXACTLY what my boat is worth right now. It's paid for and I'll be keeping it for a loooong time.

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Regardless of what anyone else does, that's already happened. People who borrowed big and long on over-priced perf boats are giving them away to keep the repo guy away. It's not uncommon for some to be adding money to the deal to get out. $4 gas and the potential of an Obama presidency isn't helping.
You are a smart man. happy Friday!

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding with DJ DollarBill.....even though he is a dick.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered

Just my .02 cents,

even though the Warlock is narrower, it is by far and large the best boat out of the three. The company builds offshore race boats, that are proven in the field, and in poker runs. Warlock is almost like the West Coast's Fountain or Cigarette of the East. In Cali, you own a Warlock for big, and a Schiada for small.

Even though the Warlock has a smaller engine, it's very easy to get your money's worth from the 350 mag and upgrade, especially if the drive is already a Bravo 1 or 3. Then it's just bolt up a bigger engine, or upgrade the 350 with an LSX block that's lighter than both. Check out Nelson Racing Engines, with their twin turbo "small block" (it's a 427 cu in for crying out loud!) that puts out over 1000 hp! if you want extreme.

Put it plainly, don't go for the Cheetah, it's a basic "custom" boat. Calling it custom is an insult in comparison to Warlock or Nordic, let alone Outerlimits or Schiada.

Also, because of the Warlocks' narrower beam, she should still cruise very well and have good top speed, even with the 350 mag, thanks to a narrower hull. Her planing will be the only thing that will need to be addressed. If you want to ski, you may want to upgrade the engine, or go to a bigger pitch prop and lose the top end. Also add tabs to plane quicker.

Also even though Warlock is out of business, out here, their name will stay. Just like the old Campbell's there will be a cult following. If the boat was posted at 40k and the engine was clean, the bilge wasn't grungy and she ran hard, planed right, ran level, and had all her documents, I'd offer 36k just to haggle. But I'd settle on 40k for the documents, and the good care for the boat. A good way to also check is the seats, if they are worn bad for a younger boat, she's been neglected in the arizona sun, which means they probably forgot to change the oil as well. The oil on the dipstick should have good viscosity, not runny, but definitely not thick either, even 50w isn't sticky.

Sorry it's such a long post, but I hope this helps. E-mail or pm me if you need more help, and let me know your choice.

I'd put the Warlock in first
The Nordic in a pretty close second, (it'd be tied if they were the same age)
and the Cheetah in a far third.

Ignore the "beginner boat blanter". Buy quality and it will lead you well all the time.

Pat
Old 08-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did anyone else think my comment didn't make sense? I think it was clearly written and to the point.
I made a similar point a few weeks ago. It seems like we have had quite an influx of new sources for insurance and finance this year- so much so that it's clogged that forum up and made it somewhat less useful.

I think everyone should shop wisely- not only for their insurance but for the agent. The reality is, there are only a few companies insuring boats. All the agents have access to these companies and they all quote about the same. A better agent is going to be able to "sell" my coverage to an underwriter- if there's some special circumstances. They're also going to be a key ally if I have a claim issue. I view my agent the same way I view my attorney, CPA or banker- as a partner.

I'm glad Stacy is joining the club and buying a perf boat. That moves her up a notch.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Murphy_P
Just my .02 cents,

even though the Warlock is narrower, it is by far and large the best boat out of the three. The company builds offshore race boats, that are proven in the field, and in poker runs. Warlock is almost like the West Coast's Fountain or Cigarette of the East. In Cali, you own a Warlock for big, and a Schiada for small.

Even though the Warlock has a smaller engine, it's very easy to get your money's worth from the 350 mag and upgrade, especially if the drive is already a Bravo 1 or 3. Then it's just bolt up a bigger engine, or upgrade the 350 with an LSX block that's lighter than both. Check out Nelson Racing Engines, with their twin turbo "small block" (it's a 427 cu in for crying out loud!) that puts out over 1000 hp! if you want extreme.

Put it plainly, don't go for the Cheetah, it's a basic "custom" boat. Calling it custom is an insult in comparison to Warlock or Nordic, let alone Outerlimits or Schiada.

Also, because of the Warlocks' narrower beam, she should still cruise very well and have good top speed, even with the 350 mag, thanks to a narrower hull. Her planing will be the only thing that will need to be addressed. If you want to ski, you may want to upgrade the engine, or go to a bigger pitch prop and lose the top end. Also add tabs to plane quicker.

Also even though Warlock is out of business, out here, their name will stay. Just like the old Campbell's there will be a cult following. If the boat was posted at 40k and the engine was clean, the bilge wasn't grungy and she ran hard, planed right, ran level, and had all her documents, I'd offer 36k just to haggle. But I'd settle on 40k for the documents, and the good care for the boat. A good way to also check is the seats, if they are worn bad for a younger boat, she's been neglected in the arizona sun, which means they probably forgot to change the oil as well. The oil on the dipstick should have good viscosity, not runny, but definitely not thick either, even 50w isn't sticky.

Sorry it's such a long post, but I hope this helps. E-mail or pm me if you need more help, and let me know your choice.

Ignore the "beginner boat blanter". Buy quality and it will lead you well all the time.

Pat

I think buying quality can be had based on value for your money. If you only have a certain budget, and aren't looking for top quality or top speed, you can be happy saving the money and going the Cheetah route, if the price is right. Hell, appearantly there a ton of people having fun on bayliners, and they never won a race.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Face it, you are a bully and you get off on messing with people on this website. Especially the women. What's up with that?

I know EXACTLY what my boat is worth right now. It's paid for and I'll be keeping it for a loooong time.

You are a smart man. happy Friday!

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding with DJ DollarBill.....even though he is a dick.
eat me Craig. Speaking of diks... where is that TV interview from Miami Boat Show when you were half in the bag?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Murphy_P
Just my .02 cents,

Pat
I agree with what you have said, for the most part. The 350 mag on the Warlock with make it real difficult to resale. Who would realisticly pay 40k for a boat with a stock SBC that is real narrow. Granted the may be faster because of it, but they are narrow enough to give up all comfort in the cocpit, IMO.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

True,

My dad currently owns a Bayliner I believe after owning first a Connelly, then a Dana, then Nordic, then Aftershock! I am in the process of opening my own boat design, building company.

The problem with the Cheetah is that the Bayliner is a better boat! The Cheetah only looks good. It handles badly, and is built very cheaply. We were looking at one and decided to go with the Nordic.
If she wants it for only a couple seasons, maybe then, but if not, for 5-10 years, go with the Nordic or the Warlock. Their hulls are reliably driven by an amateur and are also built 100 times better than the Cheetah.

quote: I agree with what you have said, for the most part. The 350 mag on the Warlock with make it real difficult to resale. Who would realisticly pay 40k for a boat with a stock SBC that is real narrow. Granted the may be faster because of it, but they are narrow enough to give up all comfort in the cocpit, IMO.

It all depends on how you drive her. In the canyons, the narrower beam might be better. Also its better to waves forward or astern, just not that good from the beam.

The main thing with the Warlock is that its a Warlock. I would say the Nordic too if it wasn't so old. I'm a greasemonkey, so I'd go with either. But for her, newer is better.

Pat

Last edited by Murphy_P; 08-01-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: found new reply

Quick Reply: Buying our first "performance" boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.