Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OK ... What the heck is going on here ??? >

OK ... What the heck is going on here ???

Notices

OK ... What the heck is going on here ???

Old 02-28-2002, 09:29 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK ... What the heck is going on here ???

I go away for a week to tend to some other business and the roof falls in!! My partner - Steve (among others) - has informed me that mayhem has erupted!!

For those of you who know me ... talk to me. You know that I always try to be neutral and fair. Give me the abridged version of this past week and what has been going on. All I am hearing are a bunch of people complaining about this and that.

In a nutshell (from what I can tell) we dropped the ball a bit by not stepping in soon enough to stop a bad trend that simply got worse.

You all know that I have always been lenient when it comes to controversy. You also know that I have stepped in when it simply got too hot. I know Steve was trying his best to allow the tide to ebb and flow. He was basically giving everyone the benefit of the doubt in hopes that the controversy would burn itself out.

If this is the case which has caused all the mayhem to occur ... you have my (and our) sincerest apologies for not being more diligent. We know that we have no hope of ever pleasing 100% of the members but we also know we can probably please 85% of them as long as we use common sense and do our jobs as moderators when and if the time comes.

For those of you who have been on the Board since day one (Too Old, Wally, Waterfoul, etc.) you guys know me. You know I have always been fair. You also know that OSO has grown from our few hundred members to thousands. The good old days of it being some small group of members are gone.

We have to accept what OSO has become and do the best our best to adapt to the situation. Hey ... remember Neuspeed? Neuspeed was nothing to contend with compared to what goes on these days!! Ha ha!

If you have a problem ... send an email to me directly at [email protected].

Jeffrey
Old 02-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like some of us were like kids with a new toy, this will wear off. I would rather have this than Neuspeed!
Tim T.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Registered

Default I remember NewSpeed!

I also remember him at the OSO party in Miami!!!!

You guys are doing a great job, both Steve and Jeffrey!
Attached Thumbnails OK ... What the heck is going on here ???-temp2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Registered

Jeffrey,I think the board let it take its course and that is the only thing that could have happend. This trend,getting off topic only got worse with the ability to post pics freely. Too Old started a very sincere post of readers rides, it was going great. Then someone started a O.T. thread that just went to hell.It has worked itself through with one seriuos casualty...TOO OLD has retired. this is a great loss to those of us who have read his threads. He truly is a gentleman and will be missed. Perhaps you can speak to him. Thanks for a Great Tool and Forum, Mark B.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Jeffery,if you want to see what is going on,cruise over to the other site(I think you know who I mean) and read some of the threads about things here at OSO. I have to be honest here,a lot of crude stuff has been posted here in the last week,but I think that stuff will soon wear off.But I actually seen one of our members actually belittle another on the size of his boat,how did he put it ,a 23 footer thats not an offshore boat(you know who you are) Man I got to say with all the junk posted here in the last week that offended me the most. My point is words can be just as bad as pictures. The guy who made that statement has actually stooped lower than I could have imagined. I know I dont post a lot,so i am sure my opinion wont matter as much as some of the older members,but I just had to stick in my .02. Thanks for listening
Old 02-28-2002, 09:54 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Default 1Boatnut

Everyone's .02 matters to me. Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. Hopefully - as you put it - things will blow over and people will come back to earth and realize that we're all here to have a good time, meet new people, help one another, and simply be sociable.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:01 PM
Registered

Jeffrey, I'll be blunt. I'm disappointed in a few of the members' use of the board's resources. I personally don't think this is the place to be posting pictures that aren't prudent for family viewing. I know some members have already left the OSO family because of this, and I suspect more will be leaving if this trend continues. I have enjoyed this website for more than a year and have been able to help people as well as ask for, and receive, help when I needed it. I don't have any plans right now to stop using this board, but I have to admit that it has crossed my mind. Please feel free to contact me. Dave
Old 02-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Registered

Jeffery
I go away to sunny south FL for a little fun and games and come back to find out that all hells broke lose. I don't know what happened nor do I want to know. It must have been bad for TOO OLD to retire. I don't understand why everyone can't just get along. I enjoy this site very much and am appreciative that it exist. If someone says something that I don't like, I ignore them. To all that I saw in the Keys, BCC, Plastered, Rivergirl, Stinson, I hope that ya'll had as much as I did, even though it rain one day.
Thanks again,
Robert
Old 02-28-2002, 10:11 PM
Registered

Jeffery
I go away to sunny south FL for a little fun and games and come back to find out that all hells broke lose. I don't know what happened nor do I want to know. It must have been bad for TOO OLD to retire. I don't understand why everyone can't just get along. I enjoy this site very much and am appreciative that it exist. If someone says something that I don't like, I ignore them. To all that I saw in the Keys, BCC, Plastered, Rivergirl, Stinson, I hope that ya'll had as much as I did, even though it rain one day.
Thanks again,
Robert
Old 02-28-2002, 11:37 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

All I can say is that all of us have to contribute to keeping the bad elements in check. It's partially my fault for not being around this past week to monitor the Board. Steve was doing the best he could and who knows ... even if I was here I may not have been able to alter the outcome. Either way ... we plan to be more proactive and diligent in the future.

Thanks to all of you who believe in our effort. It may not always be perfect but it with each passing incident ... we learn.

Quick Reply: OK ... What the heck is going on here ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.