Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shogren/Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192485-shogren-baja.html)

Loan $hark 08-04-2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2643947)
I have had many dealings with Grand Sport over the years. Mark and his crew are good people as is Scott and crew at Shogren.
Both have great reputations in the boat community

+1 having recently been a "walk-in" at both GSC locations, and having had some preliminary emails/conversations with people at Shogren about a year ago, I can say both companies are class acts. We in the Chicago area are lucky to have a couple of quality dealers like this close by. Would not hesitate to buy a boat from either. Both companies are much more straight up with a potential buyer than many of the other dealers in the area who trade in production boats.

TeamShogren.com 08-04-2008 09:18 PM

Thank you for kind comment

Thank you for nice comment, I am sure Mark would appreciate as well.

Originally Posted by Loan $hark (Post 2644005)
+1 having recently been a "walk-in" at both GSC locations, and having had some preliminary emails/conversations with people at Shogren about a year ago, I can say both companies are class acts. We in the Chicago area are lucky to have a couple of quality dealers like this close by. Would not hesitate to buy a boat from either. Both companies are much more straight up with a potential buyer than many of the other dealers in the area who trade in production boats.

TeamShogren.com 08-04-2008 09:23 PM

Good points, thanks for the opinions and questions.

Good points.

1) RE: Price points. What I mean is our current line starts with the new 33 which retails just over 200K on a trailer. Baja has several smaller boats that will allow us to meet another audience of customers that we are very excited about.

2) 200 pounds comes from construction, steering and k-planes.

3) The boat is afster becasue that's what Reggie is good at.

4) Our first 26 will be here next week and the new 35 will follow shortly.

5) OUr new site will be up soon and will display all finalized model selections. I do not know of the Hammer is in the cards.

Regards,

Team Shogren

www.chicagofountain.com

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing (Post 2643664)
Wow, I tried to make a funny statement in regards to the price point difference between a Fountain and a Baja and people get bent out of shape. I meant no disrespect to Shogren, it was more of a reference to the difference between a Baja and Fountain buyer. Shogren themselves commented the Baja line allows them to hit price points they couldnt with the Fountain lineup. Yikes...

I will ask though, how did a Baja that weights 200 lbs more run 4 mph quicker? Let me clarify, Im not doubting Shogren or Fountain or their claims, or trying to stir the pot, Im just curious as to what changed. Higher X dimension? Do you know which 11 boats Fountain will end up building? Is the new Hammer X one of them? Once last question, when do you expect to have the Bajas in?

And no, I dont race boats. "Tristar Racing" started when I needed a company name to do some business with racing contacts I still had in motorsports after I left Goodyear's racing division, its not much more than a forum name at this point. Not trying to pretend Im something that I am not, although I do enjoy track days and autocross when I find the time :)

Common men cannot drop over 200k or more on a go fast boat, that was all I meant.

Wild Card 09 08-05-2008 04:19 AM

I´ve seen every hidden corner on my ´03 25OL in the process of upgrading and modifying it. I don´t see any chopper gun layup anywhere. The layup is heavy and solid. The only areas where I would have liked to see improvement is how the hull and deck are bonded together. More lamination and less bonding resin, please!
Thru bolting with backing plates/washers on a couple more fittings would be good, too.
However, the "entry level powerboat" 25 has handled everything I´ve thrown at it just fine, and works great with an 800 Nm 600HP blower motor.

My boat was delivered from GSC in July 2002, to a customer in Ill. , who only put 5 hours on it and sold it after a year.

AIR TIME 08-05-2008 05:25 AM

Its faster cause of the new ex on the drive height/labbed prop, which anyone can do with last years model:rolleyes: like I said NO CHOPPERGUNS USED in baja boats,always handlayed up. just like fountains, not vac bagged like skater or OL were:ernaehrung004:, now that would be a improvement and baja did sell boats with k planes and steering as a extra:cool:. if they are a stock item now that would be great. I could see 200lbs for the 3# paint/k planes /steering.

boatnt 08-05-2008 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by shogren (Post 2644584)
Good points.

1) RE: Price points. What I mean is our current line starts with the new 33 which retails just over 200K on a trailer. Baja has several smaller boats that will allow us to meet another audience of customers that we are very excited about.

2) 200 pounds comes from construction, steering and k-planes.

3) The boat is afster becasue that's what Reggie is good at.

4) Our first 26 will be here next week and the new 35 will follow shortly.

5) OUr new site will be up soon and will display all finalized model selections. I do not know of the Hammer is in the cards.

Regards,

Team Shogren

www.chicagofountain.com

Come on Shogren,I dont mean to bust your chops,But,,,first you make a comment about the chopper gun and now you say the boat is heavier because of the Kplanes,the boat in the video has Lenco tabs.
and as far as the steering,their really isnt that much of a weight difference if any at all between the single ram hydraulic system and the mechanical cable system which includes the rotary assembly,helm assembly,cable,and hydraulic rack that bolts on to the transom.
I understand your job is to push your NEW product,just trying to keep it fair.

TeamShogren.com 08-05-2008 06:00 PM

Tabs, Steering, lay Up All Factor Weight Increase.

Lay up has certainly effected the weight as well as, tabs, steering & lay up, roughly 200 pounds heavier. weight does not matter as much as quality. Fountain will nothing more than take Baja to the next level. This is a win/win for all involved and all boats now being manufactured by Fountain.

Baja is a very tough boat to beat for the money, it has alot of value and we said that before we were a Baja dealer so our position is the same now as it was prior to representing baja.

Regards,

Team Shogren

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 2644921)
Come on Shogren,I dont mean to bust your chops,But,,,first you make a comment about the chopper gun and now you say the boat is heavier because of the Kplanes,the boat in the video has Lenco tabs.
and as far as the steering,their really isnt that much of a weight difference if any at all between the single ram hydraulic system and the mechanical cable system which includes the rotary assembly,helm assembly,cable,and hydraulic rack that bolts on to the transom.
I understand your job is to push your NEW product,just trying to keep it fair.

VtSteve 08-05-2008 06:17 PM

It will be interesting to see it evolve Shogren. I've been looking at the 272 Performance for a few reasons. It fit the budget bill, it had the size, love the Vee, and it comes with a single engine that pushes it fine for me.

I'm not a potential Fountain buyer, and suspect many Baja owners might not be either. I hope Reggie has the sense to know this move could Expand his market, not just refocus it around what he wants. Time will tell.

boatnt 08-05-2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by shogren (Post 2645598)
Lay up has certainly effected the weight as well as, tabs, steering & lay up, roughly 200 pounds heavier. weight does not matter as much as quality. Fountain will nothing more than take Baja to the next level. This is a win/win for all involved and all boats now being manufactured by Fountain.

Baja is a very tough boat to beat for the money, it has alot of value and we said that before we were a Baja dealer so our position is the same now as it was prior to representing baja.

Regards,

Team Shogren

I know Baja Is a great boat and a tough boat to beat period.I have had a couple of them myself so I know 1st hand that they build a good boat.
Just correcting you on your comment about the kplanes,the video shows Lenco Tabs.