Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Kentucky Lake and surrounding Rivers Boating ????? >

Kentucky Lake and surrounding Rivers Boating ?????

Notices

Kentucky Lake and surrounding Rivers Boating ?????

Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kentucky Lake and surrounding Rivers Boating ?????

May be doing a job transfer to Effingham Il in the near future. Been a Mississippi River boater all my life and the small lakes around Effingham won't cut it. Are 28-32' peformance boats able to navigate the waters feeding Kentucky Lake resivour up and below the dam with plenty of anemeties in case I get start to feel confined? Paducah have plenty of slips/marinas to use as a base of sorts?

We like to be able to cruise hundreds of miles to different locations - of which the Mighty Miss offers us now, and would like to be able to do the same there. Any info or links would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ZP'd; 08-06-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of the Miss,. Kentucky Lake has a lot of marinas. Plus the water is much cleaner. Very nice place.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Registered

We currently boat on the upper Miss... Between Dubuque Ia and the Lacrosse Ws pools primarily.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alton, IL may be closer to Eff, IL than KY Lake and OH river. The Alton Basin is popular with St. Louis folks who don't go to LOTO.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Registered

I boat on KY Lake around the KY Dam area. Not anything at all to do on the river around Paducah except to ski or wakeboard, which is what me and some friends do during the week.

Effingham is a pretty good drive though. Maybe 2 hours just to Paducah, then another 30-40 minutes to KY Lake.

You can get a map and more info at www.kylake.com
Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered

Yea the drive is gonna be a bit but we already drive 2 hours anyway so I figured that area would be the best water.

I thought Paducah would offer more for Marinas and such. I'd probably like to lift keep the boat, or at minimum leave it in a secured enclosed location rater then trailer all the time. Any Marinas capable of that that you'd reccomend?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Registered

Paducah offers nothing for marina's or places to tie boats.

Every year in September they have an event downtown called "BBQ on the River". A bunch of us rode down the river system from Barkley Dam to the foot of Broadway. When we got there we weren't allowed to tie our boats to the old barge that's converted to a dock because TVT (Tennessee Valley Towing) had a tow boat tied there and had customers that were attending the event. We had nowhere to tie our boats (about 15) so we were forced to go home. Coast Guard, local police, and the towboat captain were involved making sure we didn't tie up there.