Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
THIS SUCKS!!!  boat accident in okc, 38 formula >

THIS SUCKS!!! boat accident in okc, 38 formula

Notices

THIS SUCKS!!! boat accident in okc, 38 formula

Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would one side of the trailer be crumpled like that? Did the trailer go end over end?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It appears that the rig jacknifed. That would be the only explanation for how the trailer could be bent in that fashion. Jacknifes occur when the tow vehicle is stopping but the towed load isn't. It pushes the rear of the tow vehicle out and around. Common accident with tractor-trailers. Odd with a boat- usually the trailer has enough brakes to keep the whole thing straight. A properly set up trailer braking system will actually assist the tow vehicle in stopping.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:27 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole rig seemed shakey. Perhaps the brakes were not working
Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

I've lost a tire on a trailer twice while on the Interstate, and had a blowout on a rear truck tire while pulling the boat, also on the interstate. NONE of them were a big deal, or cause ANY odd driving issues. In all cases I just slowed down, pulled to the shoulder, and fixed them. They were non-issues. Now, my boat trailer has a lot of tongue weight.

Once, pulling a flatbed with too little tongue weight on the Interstate, I hit black ice, and that caused a tail-wagging-the-dog condition that I hope to NEVER experience again. Fully expected to slide sideways into the medium, jackknife and roll the truck. By the grace of God we came through that one okay, and I shifted the load forward right there on the side of the highway.

So, based on my experience, and that his trailer was too short for the boat, I'm betting there was too little tongue weight, the trailer started whipping the truck, and the results are the pictures we see. I wouldn't surprised if a blown tire wasn't even involved, but maybe a emergency swerve was.

I hope everyone involved is okay.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered

When the boat was sitting behind my lake place, I could lift the tongue up by myself. Obviously it didn't have enough weight up there - Chart is probably correct about the trailer whipping the back end of the 250 around. The trailer really wasn't meant for transporting the boat... I guess the new owner found that out!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Registered

I'm sure they're glad that there was an open area of grass ... craziness...
Thank God They're Ok...

Just finished getting all new backplates, shoes, brake cylinders, and adjustments done before last week's 1600 mile trip, as preventative medicine, on the Heritage Trailer with Cig Top Gun - w/ F350 4x4 non dually. Trailer braked as expected keeping the rig in line.

Must have been a slow roll off the trailer, boat's not that smashed up.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 AM
rjr
Registered

A pro hauler told me that he prefers electric drums because once a year he cuts the wires throws away all the old stuff and bolts on a complete brake for $90.00. He said cheaper and quicker than replacing shoes and trying to remove the rust.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

Well this thread finally got me off my azz. Stopped by Home Depot friday and picked up 2 10K# straps and will go again today to get a 3rd for the bow eye before we leave for Destin. Tired of seeing pics of boats beside the interstate.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:53 AM
jb
Registered

any facts besides the speculation here??? Would be nice to know how it happened..
Old 08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Registered

Sorry to see this but no one was hurt or killed...just the boat, it can be replaced.

Quick Reply: THIS SUCKS!!! boat accident in okc, 38 formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.