Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do you want more or less classes? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19273-do-you-want-more-less-classes.html)

Pete B 03-03-2002 11:22 PM

Not to Piss in anyone's wheaties, but you need a place to start, in cars there is a track in just about every town over 500. and in that someone is looking for a break that can move them to the next level. it is the same in offshore racing as well. Sorry i dont have 100 k to start in F-1 or F-2, does that mean i should not be allowed to race??? and as well im just some guy that has never been in a boat but have more money than sense, i want to run super cat! so where do you draw the line. who's in who's out. sorry sir you spent x-amout of money on safety equipment, etc
the guys dont want you to run. how would you feel if your class got axed.

shifter 03-04-2002 01:26 AM

From what I have seen the more they restrict the more people spend to go faster. The people that were spending the money in the open classes are still spending that money in the lower class and still winning. The more classes the more diversity the more winners. there are classes that have one boat in it and they win and they promote the sport and have fun. If you forse them into a specially designed class were they don't win they might quit....
Do you want to race someone that has the money to run a turbine boat in f? They might get more boats on one team and start blocking and crashing people out... hey this might give some people bad ideas and its starting to sound like nascar.:D Let them run the Queen Mary we will get the Missouri out of moth balls and kick there butts.
pat W

Outrageous 03-04-2002 01:39 AM

Randy,

So are you saying run SuperCat, F2, and F1 on Sundays for the big $$$ and ever body else run Sat for fun? Hmmm. That would be interesting.
Super V gone, Super Lights anything gone, A and B's gone.
V's gone. Baja one design, gone. Saturday all P-Class racing. Sure would simplify lots of things.

Even as a racer, its hard to keep score of who is who when watching. Your idea would solve that problem on Sundays for sure.

Long live P-Class, drop the the lights and the alphabet soup.:D

TYPHOON 03-04-2002 10:04 AM

Wait,Im not saying get rid of anyone.Im saying put on a better show.One the fans can follow as they race.

I think P class solves the whole problem of everyone saying they dont have a class to race in.Yet there is still hundreds of boats sitting on trailers that are retiered race boats.Why is that?Everyone *****ed and now there is a place to race and they still dont leave home.

As for money well it is as everyone says a lets get our feet wet and have some fun.Yes some prize money for classe's withmore than 5 boats.This winning with 2-3 boats or only 1 is embarising.Save the trophy money and put it in the larger P class winners.
Randy

Reckless32 03-04-2002 10:24 AM

Do they have a stock-stock class where there's no mods etc. to screw up a mfr -vs- manufacturer or like boat versus like boat/engine competition? I've heard they used to or still do, runs where locals are encouraged to do a mini race or something like that....:confused:

Rick

Ron P 03-04-2002 11:23 AM

I thought that was called Factory or Manufacturers class racing with HP 500s? No?

TYPHOON 03-04-2002 11:25 AM

Why do we need to race 65 miles in F-1? I can tell you who is going to win on the second lap.We dont have alot of breakage in our class.Nobody comes from the back of the pack and makes a spectacular win.Shorten up the milage and let more single class race alone.Its better for the fans and safer for the racers to limit the risk due to less time at full speed.
Randy

Brad Zastrow 03-04-2002 12:12 PM

Fewer classes are my vote. It is very difficult to watch a race and not know what the heck is going on or who is leading. I do know the difference in the classes, but I can not tell you how many people in the stands watching races have asked what is going on? And watching a one or two boats in a class is a joke. :confused:

TYPHOON 03-04-2002 05:22 PM

Brad even when I watch I get lost and I know most of the boats.I can only imagine what the fans must think when there is 4 differant classes.It gets even better when they hand out the flags and the fans realy cant figure out how that boat won when everyone passed him and the grand fanaly is when half the fleet gets a checkerd flag:confused:

Does anyone else any ideas?
Randy

Ron P 03-04-2002 09:22 PM

Something is definitly wrong. The question is, who are we trying to please? The racers, the fans or the sponsors? Right now I'd say we are making the racers happy, and after all they are the ones paying the bills.

So I really think that the question should become, how do we move to making the fans and sponsors happy while not loosing racers? Part 2 of the same question is how do we get the fans and sponsors to pay most if not all of the bills?