Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hey West Michigan guys: GPS? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19277-hey-west-michigan-guys-gps.html)

KAAMA 03-05-2002 12:00 AM

I have a Garmin 182. Waterfoul is programing the Great Lakes map into in right now with his pc. It's a very nice model with lots of features.

Red Stripe 03-05-2002 01:25 AM

Thanks for the replys guys!!!

Cha ching:eek: Kamma that 182 looks like one nice unit!! Its over double what I'm looking to spend though. :D

Dyno, I didn't know anyone else made software that would load into the Garmin's except Mapsource. Learn something new everyday:D So you can move the markers from where they were put by the CD and put them where you want them? Is your Garmin 45 a fixed or handheld? What is all on the software that you loaded into it?

Fred,
So you have had good luck with your GPS 3 then? Is the screen size your only complant? Did you load in additional software or did you put in the markers yourself?

Thanks again for the information!!
Todd

Joe Krumske 03-05-2002 04:27 PM

Red Stripe,

"Honestly" I was not even aware there were different versions. I probably have the first version that came out with the unit. It has IMS SmartMap, IMS WorldMap (which both have been uploaded), GPS DataManager, U.S, Rural Roads and U.S. navagational aids. As far as nav. aids, I have yet to find one that is not marked properly. My only complaint is the is the "background mapping" (not very detailed). Although with the nav aids being as accurate as they are, I have NO complaints, especially for the price of the unit.

Joe K

Red Stripe 03-06-2002 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Joe Krumske

My only complaint is the is the "background mapping" (not very detailed). Although with the nav aids being as accurate as they are, I have NO complaints, especially for the price of the unit.

Joe K

Are you talking about the built in background map not being very detailed or even after you loaded in your Mapcreate software?

fred 03-06-2002 12:24 PM

Todd, I use the roads and rec CD to program the area of counties I'm going to be traveling in....it will generally hold about 10-13 counties at a time and other than the screen size I like the III+ very well, and the fact that it's portable it comes in handy for hunting, checking speeds out on other toys and such....I have a mount in the boat that I leave mounted on the dash and just take the GPS unit out when not in use in the boat and keep it in the truck.....Fred

Joe Krumske 03-06-2002 04:49 PM

Redstripe,

After downloading, the detail of nav aids was improved over the builtin mapping but still lacks compared to others I have seen. But I will not deny the fact that it has been detailed enough to save my butt a couple of times. Hope this has helped.

Joe K

Red Stripe 03-06-2002 10:54 PM

Thanks for all the information guys!! Looks like there is some pro's and con's to each. It will probably come down to getting the best deal.

Thanks again!!

Anyone else want to put in there .02?:D

dyno 03-07-2002 08:51 AM

Todd the guide that I was refering to is a hard copy.....you know paper with ink on it????anyway the garmin 45 is a hand held,and I sat at the kitchen table one night and put in the waypoints by hand....I dont need no stinking software.....
Don

fred 03-07-2002 09:25 AM

I also put in some waypoints from my shop office, like put the arrow to teach the waypoint a hundred yards out in front of a channel and when I was using the GPS unit I checked it and it was right on!1....I was impressed,...Fred

Red Stripe 03-08-2002 12:13 AM

Ok here is one last question. can you delete a nav aid that is loaded in from the CD?
If I get a Garmin and use the software like Waterfoul has, I would need to delete or move these nav aids to the correct location. Can this be done?

Thanks,
Todd