Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ALERT !!! Speed Limits on NJ's Waterways >

ALERT !!! Speed Limits on NJ's Waterways

Notices

ALERT !!! Speed Limits on NJ's Waterways

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see it now that if a night time speed limit is passed, boat traffic and speed will remain status quo. Same goes for a daytime speed limit. The State Police currently do not stop and ticket those that motor through a no wake zone. Enforcing a speed limit at night or in the open areas of the bay will be impossible given the current presence of State Police and the Coast Guard. As Dave P. said, the problem is lack of enforcement of the current laws. No new laws are required.

Sharkey, is there something more we can do to help curb the proposed legislation? I already wrote the letters and emailed them to everyone you and Dave P. suggested.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Angry 30 MPH Day Time Speed Limit !!!!

How does everyone feel about doing 30 mph on all NJ Inland Waterways during the day ???

According to Save Barnegat Bay's President Willie de Camp, "People who need to go faster can go out in the ocean."

Anyone that can possibly make it to the NJ Boating Regulation Commission meeting please do so. Now is the time to stop this from going through.

I have already sent a care package for this meeting. It will certainly open some eyes but I am not sure if it will keep them from passing the new law of 30 mph speed limit.

Read the full story from today's Asbury Park Press:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2008809090345

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck, wish we could help. That's all we need, 10mph at night and 30 mph in the daytime. Hopefully that is so stupid they will get laughed out of the room.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Registered

OK!!!!! We have completed the "TRUTH ABOUT BOATING ACCIDENTS AND WHY SPEED LIMITS ARE NOT THE ANSWER TO SAFER BOATING IN NJ!" 36 pages in length!

This is what I am presenting tomorrow morning to the NJ Boat Regulation Commission as well as printing hundreds of copies to share with every State Senator and Assemblyman to spread the FACTS not some half baked idea by an opportunist politician!

VISIT www.njppc.com and download your copy!

PS...Sharkey thanks for the pics!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by DaveP

PS...Sharkey thanks for the pics!
Anytime Dave !

And I will note, the photos were taken in the No Wake Zone that was specificly extended after the Mayor of Mantoloking was asking for the entire town be a No Wake Zone back in 2003 when they were pushing for speed limits.

The presentation looks great Dave !

Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

A victory for today but now it is time to tackle Senator Sarlo!

September 10, 2008

State Boat Regulation Commission considers speed limits on Barnegat Bay

KIRK MOORE
STAFF WRITER

MARGATE -- Advocates and opponents of proposed boat speed limits on New Jersey coastal waters made their arguments to the state Boat Regulation Commission today, and commission chairman Roger K. Brown said he thinks it unlikely that a broad speed limit can be imposed on Barnegat Bay.

Brown said it's more likely that the commission might recommend expanding no-wake zones, as it did in 2003 when powerboat enthusiasts and critics last grappled over speed, noise and traffic on the bay.

"Maybe we need to look at that again...but to put a speed limit on the whole of Barnegat Bay doesn't make sense,'' Brown said, after a crowd of about 25 boaters spent the morning making their views known to the advisory panel. The commissioners did not take any action and they will discuss the issue again at their November meeting, Brown said.

The Aug. 2 death of Robert Post of Essex Fells in a boat collision led to renewed calls for speed limits, and an announcement from state Sen. Paul sarlo, D-Bergen, that he will proposed legislation to establish a 10 mph nighttime speed limit.

Five weeks after the crash that killed Post, "we know nothing more than was initially reported,'' said David Patnaude, president of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club, speaking against speed limits. "But yet three days later...Senator Sarlo came out and said it was necessary to have a 10 mph speed limit at night.''

Speed limit supporters, most of them from northern Barnegat Bay towns, said a speed limit is needed for safety and to reduce the inimidation felt by small-boat sailors and parents.

Reckless boating in the northern bay is "at a crisis level,'' said Jim Cadranell of Point Pleasant. ""On the Metedeconk River....many powerboats weave their way through small boats at 40 to 50 mph.''

Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Registered

"Reckless boating in the northern bay is "at a crisis level,'' said Jim Cadranell of Point Pleasant. ""On the Metedeconk River....many powerboats weave their way through small boats at 40 to 50 mph.''

yeah it is But it has nothing to do with the majority of boaters in the Metedeconk or the northern bay--- It all has to do with what we commonly call " A**HOLE ON THE RIVER ". jetskiers pleasure boaters, people tubing. etc etc . No wake zones aren't enforced enough running a 32 ft cruiser on plane through the canal and swamping others as they pass. It's all due to not enough man power. This summer increased patrols on the metedeconk seems to have led to more people being pulled over for infractions then I have seen in 30 years. Speed limits aren't the answer. Common sense and good boating habits save lives. I have seen 3 people die infront of my house since 1 was 13. all because they were stupid not because they were going to fast. I have seen boats swamped in the no wake zones. Not because of going fast but because of a Guy with a "My Boat is bigger than yours get out of my way" attitude. Go fasts are just what people point to cause they can be heard, seen and it just takes one of us to do something wrong and the finger gets pointed at all. Last week --- a donzi-- he knows who he is -- decided to wizz past Digillio's house . at 60 he made a turn into land was to close to the shore and to fast in the turn to attempt it ---he almost lost it. Came within 20 feet of running into a dock. Neighbors came out " Damn we need a speed limit"/---- sorry for the rant -- It's just ----Stupid shows-- and people point fingers. YET 99% of all the crap on this river isn't by GF's It's by A**HOLE on the river"

Last edited by rickmcsb; 09-10-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

I can just imagine how rough and dangerous the Bay would really get with the Sportfish boats and everyone else maintaining 30 MPH. Most hulls won't even be on plane.

That was one of the thoughts I was hoping to be brought up as well.

To all the tree huggers, tell them how worse off things would be when you have every vessel not running at its best fuel efficiency. (halfway on plane). Burning more fuel than necessary to get from Point A to Point B. The giant wakes left behind because they are not on plane.(Damages the shoreline)

Lack of visibility because most bows would be up in the air most of the time.

Less control of the boat because of only being halfway on plane.

How about the fact that not every vessel has a speedo or GPS.
Not everyone can accurately know how fast they are traveling.
Especially on a PWC.

Accuracy of a radar gun on a fiberglass boat has had a history of errors.

There are 1000's of reasons this would not work.

The NJBRC has made the right decision once again! At least for now anyway....

Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

And talk about a hazard !

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job guys.. i wish i was there to support ya....

Quick Reply: ALERT !!! Speed Limits on NJ's Waterways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.