Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   National Champion ...legit? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192897-national-champion-legit.html)

Chris Sunkin 08-10-2008 08:09 AM

The APBA had thisd handled- but they pushed a bunch of rich guys with big egos just a little bit too far. So then we had all these different, competing series- all with different, mismatching classes and such.

Maybe someday we'll have reunification, a handful of clearly identifyable classes and races with more than one boat.

BROWNIE 08-10-2008 08:53 AM

I can tell you from memory who was the world champ in 1964, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. I can also tell you who was world champ since: Everybody. It must be the most watered-down title in the world. In the alternative, if it attracts new entrants, who cares?

BigDadys93x 08-10-2008 09:12 AM

Thats the problem i think though . At least in the premier classes No one wants to spend a million or better on a boat to go out and race themselves. I believe if you want real competion you need to go into the cheaper, lower speed classes like the factory classes or the outboard cat classes that seems to be where the real racing is!

Beak Boater 08-10-2008 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2649099)
Another glitch would be if they haven't raced in 10 years, why would a manufacturer hang onto the WC logo. At some point it becomes a marketing idea vs. truth in advertising. Reg loves to say his boats went XXX MPH with the disclaimer of 10 gallons of fuel/ one skinny captain, no gear, no water on board. Honest but not realistic since no one will ever use the boat that way in real life.

I have to run my Fountain that way.....its the only way I can keep up with the World Champion Sunsations.:D:D
Chris..I do own a Ford also. Its a F350...I guess its from watching to much of the Nascar Truck series.

BigDadys93x 08-10-2008 11:24 AM

I do think its kindda funny that none of the national or world champs that are members here have chimed in to dispute this subject.

Pete B 08-10-2008 11:39 AM

So How many boats does a class need???
Many classes arent recognized, in europe as they are in the states. Class 3 6 litre is the only clas I know of where it is run around the globe. Gary Ballough and Paul Whittier race Cat OB here in the states with OSS, and SBI, as well as in the ME.
they run against teams from around the globe.

I do think its kindda funny that none of the national or world champs that are members here have chimed in to dispute this subject.
Do you think its funny when Poker run teams wear matching shirts/uniforms and call themselves world champion poker run team?? While there is some amazing hardware at poker runs,
I would say most dont want to take a Race cat of the same caliber into a turn with 4 or 5 other cats.

Racegirl3 08-10-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x (Post 2649577)

could be 2 reasons ...

1 its the weekend (some people actually do stuff) and
2 alot of the racers I know dont venture out of the racing section

BRUCE SEROFF 08-10-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Racegirl3 (Post 2649589)
could be 2 reasons ...

1 its the weekend (some people actually do stuff) and
2 alot of the racers I know dont venture out of the racing section

Exactly....More so #2.

Jupiter Sunsation 08-10-2008 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Beak Boater (Post 2649515)
I have to run my Fountain that way.....its the only way I can keep up with the World Champion Sunsations.:D:D
Chris..I do own a Ford also. Its a F350...I guess its from watching to much of the Nascar Truck series.

That was my exact point. Cigarette hadn't raced a factory boat in years and Sunsation has had a couple of boats race but were factory helped but not 100% factory sponsored. Sunsation doesn't build race boats, it is not their market. Cigarette doesn't built race boats (Skater builds them for them). The WC logo is cool but certainly not the reason anyone should buy any boat.

I certainly don't believe "Budweiser is the king of beers", Ford's "quality is job one" or even Chevrolet is the "Heartbeat of America."