National Champion ...legit?

Notices

National Champion ...legit?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
And if you pull the money plug in OPA ,lets see who is going to be there . If there still is an OPA.

Um ... we had 33 boats in Harrison Twp ... and Geico wasnt there. Your comment is a huge slam to all the guys/gals who put together the OPA race sites and support. We do appreciate Haggin but he did not provide the purse for Harrison or St Clair. His help with the food and such at St Clair was greatly appreciated but the race would have happened in St Clair, just like it did in Harrison Twp, even if Haggin wouldnt have shown up.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
I do think its kindda funny that none of the national or world champs that are members here have chimed in to dispute this subject.
I won the World championship in 2003-2004 in APBA I also won the Nation Championship and the Great Lakes Championship. 2003 we ran a total of 20 races running every APBA and every Great Lakes races that year. We had a lot of competion back then and I was running P-3 with a 30 Phantom called Fortress. I know what you are saying by winning a Championship racing against nobody but that's not his fault nobody wants to play. I have been kicked out of a class for having to good of a boat.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think anyone wants to race against themselves. (well may be not everyone) It is just the way things are at some events.

Also I would worry about OPA. Unlike any other organization that I am aware of, OPA racers are building their own sites. We actually had 38 boats in Harrison Twp and I guarantee you it will be much bigger next year. Louie is doing NY and it will be a top site, Smitty pretty much does Point Pleasant and Ocean City and I wouldn't be surpised at another racer promoted site next year. If you want to grow the sport dont just show up and take everything for granted. Do something big to better the sport.

Oh yeah. I did earn my title. It cost me a boat, two shattered teeth and a ton of $. And I will never forget that week!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
GB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Bring back F-1 and F-2 racing the way it was intended to be, win and then announce 'World Champions' as your sales tool.

And you'e got to have some sort of mandatory minimum for each class as well.
And there you go.... sure miss that class. Best racing ever!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCrockett
I won the World championship in 2003-2004 in APBA I also won the Nation Championship and the Great Lakes Championship. 2003 we ran a total of 20 races running every APBA and every Great Lakes races that year. We had a lot of competion back then and I was running P-3 with a 30 Phantom called Fortress. I know what you are saying by winning a Championship racing against nobody but that's not his fault nobody wants to play. I have been kicked out of a class for having to good of a boat.
Yeah you're right its not their fault if noone else wants to show up but I think in that situation they should stick you in another class ,like a "p" class . Yeah the p classes have speed restrictions but at least you would have competion. Put turbines and pistons together and speed restric them on a per lap average and competion would be close and its good racing for the fans especially when only one or two boats show up for each of those classes.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
You know whats funny ,..... i never mansioned a name.?!

Well duh ...

Doesnt matter ... lets say for arguments sake you were referring to somebody else... its still wrong and still a slam to rest of the org ...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,630 Likes on 3,769 Posts

Originally Posted by GB
And there you go.... sure miss that class. Best racing ever!
But it is no more and will never be again, many have tried .
Old 08-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
So How many boats does a class need???
MORE THAN ONE
Old 08-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
While there is some amazing hardware at poker runs,
I would say most dont want to take a Race cat of the same caliber into a turn with 4 or 5 other cats.

Nope and they should never ever do that! It is a poker Run not a race!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I can tell you from memory who was the world champ in 1964, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. I can also tell you who was world champ since: Everybody.
Great point.

What happened since to create the current mess you ask?

Back then you built a boat to fit a class.

Today, you demand a class to fit your boat....and you get it.

Anyone who participates in the continuous massaging of rules or creation of "new, bolder" classes so he or she can show off some new piece of hardware....isn't a real boat racer.....and fans, IMHO, want to see real boat racers and real boat racing.

and don't get me started on bracket racing.......... if you want to be locked together so you can all shake hands running around the course.....simply bring an electric bumper car ride to each race....it makes about as much sense.

Many boats racing even up is a Champ boat race. One boat running against itself....is an ego trip.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-11-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: National Champion ...legit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.