Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   National Champion ...legit? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192897-national-champion-legit.html)

Pete B 08-11-2008 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by GB (Post 2649858)
And there you go.... sure miss that class. Best racing ever!

But it is no more and will never be again, many have tried .

boatme 08-11-2008 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pete B (Post 2649588)
So How many boats does a class need???

MORE THAN ONE

boatme 08-11-2008 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pete B (Post 2649588)
While there is some amazing hardware at poker runs,
I would say most dont want to take a Race cat of the same caliber into a turn with 4 or 5 other cats.

Nope and they should never ever do that! It is a poker Run not a race!

T2x 08-11-2008 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE (Post 2649487)
I can tell you from memory who was the world champ in 1964, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. I can also tell you who was world champ since: Everybody.

Great point.

What happened since to create the current mess you ask?

Back then you built a boat to fit a class.

Today, you demand a class to fit your boat....and you get it.

Anyone who participates in the continuous massaging of rules or creation of "new, bolder" classes so he or she can show off some new piece of hardware....isn't a real boat racer.....and fans, IMHO, want to see real boat racers and real boat racing.

and don't get me started on bracket racing.......... if you want to be locked together so you can all shake hands running around the course.....simply bring an electric bumper car ride to each race....it makes about as much sense.

Many boats racing even up is a Champ boat race. One boat running against itself....is an ego trip.

T2x

Pete B 08-11-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by boatme (Post 2650027)
MORE THAN ONE

you were at St Clair you didnt enjoy watching the yellow boat race itself and claim top gun honors??

BAJA WILL 08-11-2008 09:54 AM

OK,

I think we are getting off topic here, I think the original question proposed is why to MFG's put "World Champions" on their boats and claim to be world champions when they haven't raced in years or decades?? Better yet when a MFG puts World CHampion on their boats and they don't even build race boats (thats Amazing) or race their production boats?

Let me really blow your mind, what if I as an individual took a boat, raced it with no support from factory, took their logos of of it and won a world championship, are they entitled to be "WORLD CHAMPIONS", let that stir in your head!!!!!!

WILL
World Champion, one beer at a time:drink:

panicrev 08-11-2008 10:00 AM

i have a world champion canoe....made up stickers and everything. actually its my fathers. anywhoo.......:grinser010::rolleyes:

Lee 08-11-2008 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2649606)
That was my exact point. Cigarette hadn't raced a factory boat in years and Sunsation has had a couple of boats race but were factory helped but not 100% factory sponsored. Sunsation doesn't build race boats, it is not their market. Cigarette doesn't built race boats (Skater builds them for them). The WC logo is cool but certainly not the reason anyone should buy any boat.

It may not be their market but Sunsation has in fact built several purpose built raceboats.

boatme 08-11-2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pete B (Post 2650217)
you were at St Clair you didnt enjoy watching the yellow boat race itself and claim top gun honors??

Green one did as well :)

T2x 08-11-2008 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2650265)
OK,

I think we are getting off topic here, I think the original question proposed is why to MFG's put "World Champions" on their boats and claim to be world champions when they haven't raced in years or decades?? Better yet when a MFG puts World CHampion on their boats and they don't even build race boats (thats Amazing) or race their production boats?

Let me really blow your mind, what if I as an individual took a boat, raced it with no support from factory, took their logos of of it and won a world championship, are they entitled to be "WORLD CHAMPIONS", let that stir in your head!!!!!!

WILL
World Champion, one beer at a time:drink:

As in "World Champion Cigarette Racing Team"?

Or Formula being a "World Champion" because they sponsor an Unlimited Hydro?

It's all part of the same disease. If Championships mean nothing for drivers, owners........ or builders, what's the difference?

By the way I ran a World Championship race for 28 Skaters yesterday morning and nobody else showed up. As I result I am proud to announce that I am the current August 10th, 2008, Babylon Harbor World Champion in the 28 Skater Class.

After the race I was quoted as saying while I mopped my brow with a towel: "This is a team sport and I wouldn't be here without a lot of help from a slew of people. Let me start by thanking Peter Hledin for his great boat, Mercury Marine for the super outboard powerplants and props, my family for backing me all of these years, my wonderful crew, ( a bunch of Long Islanders headed up by Joey Imprescia), Francesco's Pizza, the gas girl at the Anchorage Marina, Lifeline Jackets, Channel 7 for an accurate weather forecast, and all of the countless fans who have cheered us on around the world. I promise that, with your support, next year I will connive another meaningless World (or Universal!!!!) Championship for all of you."

T2x........... Current Babylon Harbor 8/10/08 World Champion.:D:D