Notices

National Champion ...legit?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
Just for everyone to know..

I would earn it to, but if nobody shows up in my class and do plus spend the $ to go there ,...............wy did i not earn it ?

I do know what you mean but i cant make the other teams show up.

And if you pull the money plug in OPA ,lets see who is going to be there . If there still is an OPA.

Who ever whants to race me to find out ,bring it on.
I am going to be very careful on this topic, as I have been called out on some of my replies regarding world champions from the newer racers of today. I will tell you about the old times for what it`s worth. I started racing professional with the Mercury Offshore team in 1964, 19 yrs old under the guidance of Carl Kiekhaefer, I am of the few who went on to race UIM in Europe etc.
Back when there was one ultimate governing body for all racing, that was UIM in Belgium. As an american I had to first be a member of an offshore racing club, who had to grant me permission to race, with that I could then join APBA which was the national governing body, with that license I would then apply with permission from APBA to become licensed from UIM, and only then was allowed to race in Europe.
I think where we lost it is when the local clubs gave up. I was one of the first members of OPBRA along with Brownie from the Miami South Fla. club. We used to have meetings where 100 plus people would show up for general meetings etc. This club was goverend by APBA as was several other clubs around the east, south, West and North, all being divisional clubs. These clubs sponsored and held there own racing series, some with their own classes, and many of those boats were permitted to run the National APBA circuit for USA 1championships, or UIM world championships. OPBRA was a great club, lot`s of fun, lot`s of racing etc, more people could get involved in the sport without huge expense, also used to have special events, run what you brung etc. the local clubs also sponsored there own National races, like the Gateway Marathons, Miami to Key West, LeClub, Jockey club, Miami to Naussau, Bacardi race, etc, etc.
Used to be that there had to be a minimum of three boats per class, if not they would combine a class and have a staggered start. Back then we only had approx. 4 or 5 classes so life was simpler. We used to have to qualify to run in world and APBA championships, which meant you had to run three races on the National circuit and you had to finish all three in the top three positions, if you could not you would have to run more until you qualified. For UIM world champioship rule there would be approx.12 to 14 races around the world, America, Italy, France, Spain, England, Africa, Yugoslavia, Norway, South America and Sweden. The more races you could run the better your chances of being world Champion. To be UIM World Champion you were only allowed your best results from the best 1/3 of the races you ran, in case of a tie it would go to the amount of seconds and thirds you had. When we used to do the UIM circuit, many of the races were for dual and triple points championships. We would race for example from Italy to Yugoslavia 220 miles on Sat. for UIM points only, we would have another boat there and race that boat back on Sunday for Italian and European championship points. By the end of a UIM season we would run sometimes close to 20 races all being a minimum of 180 Nautical miles in length in most any conditions, and all in open oceans around the world. Most hectic week was a race in Italy to France and back on Sat. race in Atlantic City wed. same week and race in France Sat. we had four boats, over 30 motors and drives, all raced only one race then sent to america for rebuild.
I would never intentionaly take anything away from the guys racing today, as you still have to suit up, sit down, shut up and race, still takes guts any way you cut it. Times change, things today are not what they were, and the same will apply 10 yrs from now. I still think it is a shame on us that we don`t have the recorded history that most all other motor sports have.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
....Or Formula being a "World Champion" because they sponsor an Unlimited Hydro?....T2x........... Current Babylon Harbor 8/10/08 World Champion.
First of all, congratulations on another racing milestone.

I believe that Formula did win the F-2 championship in 2000 (against real competition)with the 382 model, a boat that is essentially unchanged since then. I'm not saying that Treadwell's F-2 boat was structurally the same as a production boat, but in theory the hulls are the same shape. Granted, that was almost 10 years ago, but is there a statute of limitations on accomplishments?

Disclaimer: I own a Formula 382....

Back to the point of this thread: I agree that there are too many classes, sanctioning organizations and championships to make the claim really meaningful. Reggie's end-of-season ads in particular are an exercise in Trivial Pursuit.

Me? I'm entering the Susqehanna-to-Fairlee Grand Prix this weekend. The exact time and course will be kept secret until the event is over, but will be revealed in my press release.....

Last edited by C_Spray; 08-11-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racegirl3
Hey now ... that was a boat ride ... not a race
NOW NOW NOW If it were a boat ride why was he running on a race course?

I think Eddy is a great guy, I have know him for many years and consider him a friend

Things were so crazy I didnt even get to say hello during the race weekend

My wife was an official for the great lakes silver cup series (Risk Manager) and I got to know Eddy through her

But Dawn you have to agree, running around the course for the entire race and then doing a fly by along the wall with a hands in the air showing victory all the while they were the only ones running in their class is just a hollow victory

To me it is a shame that one of the hardest working guys in the sport and one of its largest supporters has to race himself around the track

He not only got first place he also has the distinction of running in last place in his class as well

This is not an knock on Ed, or any racer, it is a shame that the sport allows for this to happen
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Me? I'm entering the Susqehanna-to-Fairlee Grand Prix this weekend. The exact time and course will be kept secret until the event is over, but will be revealed in my press release.....

lmao
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
With NO means i called any body out !
And i 100% agree with you ,but wy am i not a national cahmpion if i am high points ?
I think i deserved that title, not because i raced some one .NO because i showed pasion and loalty to this sport by entering any event in my class. With no sponsor on my own budget .
So please people out there ,dont plame me for racing by myself.
After you spend 1000 dollars for hotel and travel ,come to find out your the only one in your class . Should i just go home ?
and lose the fun i have already spend money on ?

And also all the boat MFG ,who claim WORLD CHAMPION POWERBOATS, on it probibly where at one point in the worlds.
Heck even my old AEROTEK bin in i think 7 Worldchampionships befor i even knew what the hell an AEROTEK is.
My hat of to those who raced back in the days and my hat of to those who still race today, times change ,rules change ,but i am prowed to be part of it.
And it means alot to me that i made that dream come thru ,so i dont care if i earned it in your mind's, i did in mine .
Plus i had fun.
Hopefully i will win this worldchampionship just to say i did it.
It will not even get me a cup of coffee anywhere but a trophy on my wall. Thats what its about .
Not you, someone else. Like I said at the last of my writing it takes guts to suit up, sit down, and shut up and race...........
I have had races where everyone broke, and then went to cruise, I have had races against all European class one boats that were a joke at the time, they still ran there guts out and did what they had to do, I just had superior equip. and lasted the longest. If you enter a race it is just that, a race. If the organizer says if you win you are World Champion so be it. The racer is there to enter an event irregardless. It`s not the racers by any means, it`s the organizers trying to make a big prestigeous show. If the world championships were that great I would believe like in the past the Europeans, UAE teams etc. would all want to participate, as they used to. It is unfortunate that the Europeans get very little credit for there racing. We as Americans tend to forget that we have counterparts all over the world who also live and breath Offshore. Thanks to UIM P-1 racing starting up big in Europe, maybe america should once again align themselves and the world could become whole again, and have real world champions, afterall doesnt world mean anything anymore, race all over the world, against peers in other countries, and see who is the best in the WORLD.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are the only one who shows, so be it. Still built, maintained, raced, and won, not your problem. The only thing I don't like, is you should have to finish at least one lap under your own power, not pushed across the start, etc.

I also think the rules for classes should be implemented at least two seasons ahead of time and frozen unless an engine/drive manufacturer goes out of business and you can't meet the class rules. That way you would eliminate the boats being built first and the class following. How many years did NASCAR work on the new car?

The last thing, even though there are several organizations, can't they implement the same class equipment rules so the boats could cross run organization races? Then the world's would mean something again.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
First of all, congratulations on another racing milestone.

I believe that Formula did win the F-2 championship in 2000 (against real competition)with the 382 model, a boat that is essentially unchanged since then. I'm not saying that Treadwell's F-2 boat was structurally the same as a production boat, but in theory the hulls are the same shape. Granted, that was almost 10 years ago, but is there a statute of limitations on accomplishments?

Disclaimer: I own a Formula 382....

Back to the point of this thread: I agree that there are too many classes, sanctioning organizations and championships to make the claim really meaningful. Reggie's end-of-season ads in particular are an exercise in Trivial Pursuit.

C:

Good points as always. I do recall when Formula descended on boat racing a few years back and dueled Reggie's minions PR-A-PR and golf shirt to golf shirt for bragging rights. Both companies claimed absolute dominance in the Factory 2 class and set the standards for "victory by ad agency" racing to this day.

Last edited by T2x; 08-11-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I am going to be very careful on this topic.
Somehow I never learned how to do that........

T2x
Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ratickle
If you are the only one who shows, so be it. Still built, maintained, raced, and won, not your problem. The only thing I don't like, is you should have to finish at least one lap under your own power, not pushed across the start, etc.
Great!

In that case I am no longer merely the Babylon Harbor World Champion 8/10/08..28 Skater class.

I am now officially the Worldwide World Champion 8/10/08 ...28 Skater Class...since, through no fault of mine, no Europeans or Asians showed up yesterday while I was out "racing".....

I did average over 108..........

Man! I'm impressive!

T2x
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2x, I am always impressed with you.

I think that my offshore racing career is truly the most impressive, however. I raced for nearly twenty years and won more than few races, but NEVER won a world or national title. Now THAT is difficult in today's racing environment!

Tom

Quick Reply: National Champion ...legit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.