Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I need some advice... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/193027-i-need-some-advice.html)

bruin_d 08-11-2008 04:43 PM

I need some advice...

I bought my boat in May of this year. The guy I purchased it from didn't have the title (he still owed on it) but I went ahead and bought it anyway. As of today, 3 months later, I have yet to receive any paperwork for the boat. Should I be worried? I have a bill of sale but I am still hesitant on taking it out too often as I do not want to press my luck and have something happen and then I don't have any real paperwork on it. What should I do?

MANITIE 08-11-2008 04:46 PM

Get your money back....he can not provide you with a title....more then likely he did not pay off his boat....if he lets it repo the bank will come get there boat from you...and will be stuck....

JCPERF 08-11-2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by bruin_d (Post 2650748)
I bought my boat in May of this year. The guy I purchased it from didn't have the title (he still owed on it) but I went ahead and bought it anyway. As of today, 3 months later, I have yet to receive any paperwork for the boat. Should I be worried? I have a bill of sale but I am still hesitant on taking it out too often as I do not want to press my luck and have something happen and then I don't have any real paperwork on it. What should I do?

I think your screwed:(My father did that years ago and had to pay off the old guys lien to register it and get papers for it.

mikebrls 08-11-2008 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bruin_d (Post 2650748)

did you pay in full for the boat ?
if so i would be worried .
doe's the guy talk to you over the phone or ignore your call's.
i would think about a lawyer soon .

bruin_d 08-11-2008 04:49 PM

He already cashed my check (obviously). I never thought about the bank taking it from me because of him defaulting. Anyone know what kind of rights I have as far as getting my money back?

bruin_d 08-11-2008 04:51 PM

How long does it usually take to get the paperwork from the bank? I know it isn't much more than a week or so for a car.

bruin_d 08-11-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 2650757)
did you pay in full for the boat ?
if so i would be worried .
doe's the guy talk to you over the phone or ignore your call's.
i would think about a lawyer soon .

He answers the phone and replies to my emails. Yes I paid in full.

MANITIE 08-11-2008 04:52 PM

How are you running the boat ..with no registration or a temporary reg.

I would be at his door step and getting my money or clear title.....

bruin_d 08-11-2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2650761)

Unfortunately he is 4 hours away...

bruin_d 08-11-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2650761)

Bill of sale