Ttt
Old 10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[
Originally Posted by handfulz28
How's the other motor?
Originally Posted by BillR
Not sure. It runs fine. Plan to upgrade heads (so they match) this winter.
Once everything is done, I'll have new-100% motors - again.
I'd say this is a pretty critical on point question. If your theory is true the other motor would show same pattern/signs of wear you're seeing on 'bad' motor. I'd be checking that one before coming to conclusion it is the product.

I never have used SaltAway ... I certainly do use and abuse Dawn every time in & out. Haven't tried Dawn on my shafts yet, Strip, maybe this weekend. My motor guy says dish detergent first 3-2mins then fresh for 3-4mins ea till drinkable out the dumps.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know, I'm still sticking with just H2O and 15 minutes per motor. Plus I flush on the lift, and don't really want to put all those chemicals in the creek water. (Note, I'm not a tree hugger by any means!)
Dean
Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
[If your theory is true the other motor would show same pattern/signs of wear you're seeing on 'bad' motor.
Unless both motors have the same issue causing the abnormally fast corrosion. It's got to be something electrical to eat up the metal that fast. Something is either grounded, or not grounded, or not hooked up, or hooked up wrong.

Another idea...I know when I use the Salt Away dispenser, the product gets used up within minutes when flushing the motors. I used one cup per motor, then one more fill for the rest of the boat and trailer. I've also forgotten to turn the selector to "ON"...fried one impellor that way.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about electrolysis?
The back part of the head where the intake blocks it off is near perfect, yet the rest of the head where water is moving shows lots of corrosion???

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Salt Away on my HP525 since September 2003 with no issues but a clean corrosion free boat & motor.
I have over 200 hours with zero issues.
It makes clean up a breeze & I love the stuff...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sulfamic acid will drop the pH in the water solution and cause corrosion on almost all metals to increase. I am surprised that the instructions say to leave it in the motor i.e. not flush out the cleaning solution. No offense but could we verify that comment, maybe post a scanned copy of the instructions?? I personally would not leave anything except fresh water or winterizing solutions (antifreeze) in a motor.

Also, the MSDS indicates that the product is a blend of organic acids. The only constituents that are required to be named are hazardous ingredients hence the sulfamic is listed, so the rest of the blend is not known.

Looks like you got corrosive material between the head gasket and the head that sat stagnant and corroded the heads. Once the corrosive material gets in between the head gasket and the head it is difficult to flush completely. Look at the seating surfaces on the head gasket. Compared to where the metal is on the heads. The corrosion is magnified many times over when the motor is operated i.e. heated up, the corrosion rate doubles for every 10 degree increase in temp.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BTW I had similar damage to aluminum heads from running in salt water and I do not use Salt Away routinely.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been useing Salt-A-Way since 1998 in various boats. I have never had an issue. However I keep reading about Salt-A-Way actually being bad for the internals of the engine.

Anyone really know the truth about this?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

bump ...any new input?

Quick Reply: Salt Away - bad for your motor? Interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.