Notices

lookin to buy a scarab???

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin to buy a scarab???

Hi everybody,first time on the site. Looks great.I'm lookin to get back into an offshore boat again.I'm no millionare so I lookin for a reasonable good boat. I found a 1999 38 scarab with 525 sc's. low hours, lots of options. I dont know alot about Wellcrafts besides the dont make these Scarabs anymore. Honestly how are these Scarabs compared to say a FAstech or Fountain? I know its no Outerlimits but just tryin to get some real facts from real boaters. thanks for any help and opinions
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

The Scarab should be a good solid boat depending on how it was cared for. Build quality on all 3 boats in that year range is probably relatively equal. Ride quality in the Scarab will probably higher than the others with the Fastech being comparable.

I have owned 3 others and currently own a Scarab. I have never had any issues other than very minor that would relate to build quality.

Have a survey done prior to purchase. If it checks out good and you take care of it after purchase, you should have no trouble with the boat itself for a long time.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 96 Scarab that was well taken care of and I never had any major issues with it. They are real solid boats! Like Scarabman says, spend the money on a survey and if it checks out I can't imagine you would be disappointed with the ride/handling. Even though they don't make them anymore (at least not the performance ones), I still think they are bad a$$ boats!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a client that has a 2002 38' Scarab....if interested call me 269.208.5321
Old 08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered

thanks everybody !! Sounds like a Scarab could be the right boat for me. I'm an auto tech for almost 20 years now so I'll probally do my own engine checks,leak down,commpression,ect... Anything else I should look for that might be notable to Scarabs only? Crazyfast, I will give you a call, thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcuda499
thanks everybody !! Sounds like a Scarab could be the right boat for me. I'm an auto tech for almost 20 years now so I'll probally do my own engine checks,leak down,commpression,ect... Anything else I should look for that might be notable to Scarabs only? Crazyfast, I will give you a call, thanks
If you do your own engine checks you should still have a survey done and specifically check the transom and stringers near the transom for water intrusion or rot. This is not specific to Scarabs but all boats.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcuda499
By the way, if you consider a Scarab smaller than a 38, I have been contemplating selling my 33. It is factory stock and about as bada$$ a boat as Wellcraft built w/ 600s and all the options.

Something to think about!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your not looking at the boat in Georgia are you???
Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

ya, I have been talking to Scott down there. Do you have any info about it?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered

thanks Scarabman, but I def want to go bigger than what I've had before. I had a 33 Viper, no options just speed.

Quick Reply: lookin to buy a scarab???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.