If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skeg Repair??

Gold Member Gold Member spazboz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    26' Wellcraft Nova II, Wellcraft 210 Elite, PowerPlay 185 XLT
    Zeeland, Michigan
    I would have to agree with these guys on this one. At those speeds and taking into considderation the performance level of your boat, I wouldn't risk it either. If we were talking about a 1985 Sea-Ray wiith a top speed of 35 mph, I'd say weld it and go, but not with this one...

My Boats:
    1993 Cigarette Top Gun
    Kankakee Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Frank just because a bravo I/O has had success with a welded skeg with boat that runs less than 70 mph does mean you should attempt a repair on high speed Skater with surfacing lower units. I can not stress how foolish that can be. I have broken more O/B parts than I care to think about including snapped off skegs at least four times on twin and triple setups and that was with good lower units. Once even lost the whole lower unit when the mid section broke. I was told by many people not to even think about welding a skeg. We threw them in the trash.
    I could'nt agree more. I have repaired many skegs on lower performance lower units so it's not a question of if it "can'' be repaired or not. Nor is it a question of the weldors ability to preform the repair. Sometimes the wisdom to say ''no'' to doing a repair is more important that possesing the skill to do it.
    If it is a ''surfacing'' drive or a drive being used in a high performance application, I won't touch it and advise the customer to replace it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12