Notices

Skeg Repair??

Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Skeg Repair??

I hit two rocks today and broke both skegs on my Skater, 250XSs with sport master lowers. About 3-4" on one and 5" on the other as far as I can tell.Has anyone done this and had a repair done ,or am I looking at new cases.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 PM
ENABLER
Platinum Member

Bummer bout the skegs---Sorry to say but new cases is the safe & only thing to do! Risking to much if they break at speed! IMO----
Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

I broke a 4" to 5"piece off of my Bravo 1 skeg earlier this summer and was pleasantly surprised to learn that a replacement piece could be welded on. Finished job looked just like new. No new casing needed.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

Who Did The Repair?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Do not weld a skeg on a O/B lower unit. Very dangerous thing to do. It will break again on a high speed surfacing boat. Go to www.Screamandfly.com website (outboards) and ask there. Everyone there will tell you do not do it. Replace the cases.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
<----- Smart A$$, always one in the group, right?

Toughest part of the job is finding the skeg back so you can weld it back on!

O yeah, and when you pick-em otta the rocks, try not to hit the rocks again with the boat!!!

JustKidding man, sorry about your luck, hope your cases are salvageable!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzin
I broke a 4" to 5"piece off of my Bravo 1 skeg earlier this summer and was pleasantly surprised to learn that a replacement piece could be welded on. Finished job looked just like new. No new casing needed.
Who did the repair?/
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skegs aren't just for straight-line stability. They see substantially more stress in turning. If you're OK with taking a chance on a spin or a barrel roll when a welded one snaps in a hard turn...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Frank just because a bravo I/O has had success with a welded skeg with boat that runs less than 70 mph does mean you should attempt a repair on high speed Skater with surfacing lower units. I can not stress how foolish that can be. I have broken more O/B parts than I care to think about including snapped off skegs at least four times on twin and triple setups and that was with good lower units. Once even lost the whole lower unit when the mid section broke. I was told by many people not to even think about welding a skeg. We threw them in the trash.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 08-18-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Skegs aren't just for straight-line stability. They see substantially more stress in turning. If you're OK with taking a chance on a spin or a barrel roll when a welded one snaps in a hard turn...
Bummer BIG Daddy & Ditto on what Chris said .. gotta have some big Kahunas to weld em up & run it again and cross your fingers

Quick Reply: Skeg Repair??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.