Notices

If You Wanted To Race?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

We had a old ss cat for a pleasure boat before we bought our SVL. I was kinda boared when we first got it only running low 80s in flat water, but when it get past 85 the fun starts. I really enjoy it now the SVLs are so forgiving you can think you on the edge of crashing and the next thing you know its running flat again. There is a huge margin of error in a SVL. Very safe. My wife told me after we bought our SVL that she feared for her life every time out in the cat, but it was also an open cockpit boat. I really wanted a SS Cat, but it came down to money, cost to operate, and experiance.

So far this year the repairs on our boat was a $35 u-joint and the last race a failing power streering pump that was free using merc contengancy.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Right now the biggest difference between a SVL and a SS is money. A good used SS boat will run you about 100,000-150,000 where as an SVL can be bought for 75,000 , I would say you can race either of these boats for about $5,000.00 per race including all expenses. The biggest difference is the up keep. On an SVL you change the oil in the motor and drive then rebuild the drive. On the SS you need to rebuild both powerheads at least once a year which cost about 8-10 grand to do it right plus rebuilding the gearcases for a couple more. I would LOVE to have more SS boats but believe someone would be better off getting some cat time or race time in something else before racing a cat. Being a competitive SVL ain't no cake walk either.....no matter what class you choose there is a bunch of people at the races that will help you out and get you going. It is the greatest sport around on and off the race course. No matter what you do or where you race be safe and have fun.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Thanks, our garage is 44 by 60 and has all the boats in it now. Why is a BatBoat not legal for SVL?
Ask Chris Reindl. I was told that they were not allowed because the design is superior to the conventional vees. With the same power and drive the bat boat is faster in the rough as well as when it is smooth. So "wings" have been outlawed by OSS. They also out turn anything out there. My boat is a perfect example, it is the former Zero Cavaity which own at least one Championship in Class 4 against larger and much greater HP.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boat pictured in the Forbes article is not a 28. It is a V-24.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,717 Likes on 3,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Ask Chris Reindl. I was told that they were not allowed because the design is superior to the conventional vees. With the same power and drive the bat boat is faster in the rough as well as when it is smooth. So "wings" have been outlawed by OSS. They also out turn anything out there. My boat is a perfect example, it is the former Zero Cavaity which own at least one Championship in Class 4 against larger and much greater HP.
They were not outlawed in "OSS", Back when the boat was first introduced, they had a advantage with the wings, and smaller wetteed area. the boat ran in A Class and helped in its demise!, with APBA. when the 24 was introduced it was given it's own class, the One Design class, there were a few boats that had Mercury power under Armada Boats, when Chris Reindl bought the company he chose the Volvo package, because the counter-rotating drive seemed to work better for the boat. But the Volvo 350 engine was a little low on power compared to the Mercury 377. They are fun little boats!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Racer
Racer

When the Buzzi Rib and the Mannefelt Bat Boat came out they raced in the A- class and made the boats back then Obsolete. APBA then created the AX class for these two boats to run in.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I was also going to point out that a 10 year old SVL is just as competitive as a new one. You don't have to buy a new boat every 3 years to keep up. SVL is close to nascar, its not the latest, and greatest hull tech, but all the boats are very equal. Every boat in the class can win.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aqua Banshee
I was also going to point out that a 10 year old SVL is just as competitive as a new one. You don't have to buy a new boat every 3 years to keep up. SVL is close to nascar, its not the latest, and greatest hull tech, but all the boats are very equal. Every boat in the class can win.
Thanks, I am still a little curious why there are no Fountains in SVL? Nobody wants to put a canopy on one or something else?

So the biggest negative, (if you don't like speedlimits, and you get good enough to drive the boat to its capabilities) is there is no SVL class in OPA, you must run P3 or P4 against larger boats?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,717 Likes on 3,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Thanks, I am still a little curious why there are no Fountains in SVL? Nobody wants to put a canopy on one or something else?

So the biggest negative, (if you don't like speedlimits, and you get good enough to drive the boat to its capabilities) is there is no SVL class in OPA, you must run P3 or P4 against larger boats?
Most SVL's that run OPA run P-4 and they have been successful.
Again, if choosing where you race, Apples to Apples=OSS, Mixed fruit bowl=OPA
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Racer
Racer

No one has ever built a canopied 29-32 Fountain. The Factory ONE Fountains (29') BEAT YOU TO DEATH!!!! in bumpy water.

Quick Reply: If You Wanted To Race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.