Notices

Moving up

Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving up

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my second boat, A 27' 1987 Mach 1. It is equipped with 2 Merc 454 330hp with alpha one drives and 4 blade merc offshore 21p props. Was told by previous owner that the boat will do upper 60's mph.

This is a move up for me as in the size of boat my previous boat was a 1986 Baja sport 220.

Now please give me some feedback on the Mach 1. I had it surveyed before I purchased it and its dry as a bone engines and drives are perfect. the boat just needs my detailing touch. From what I have found on this site is these boats were good for the great lakes but not a true off shore hull, which I'm not worried about, I just need it to do its job for me now and love the extra room i now have.

I guess I'm a little worried about the big block with alpa combo.

again please give feed back about this boat manufacture.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by b-rad
I guess I'm a little worried about the big block with alpa combo.
Don't plan on beefing the engines up any. Also don't mess with the gear ratios and be careful when changing props. Donzi built some boats back in the 80's with that combo. Just about any attempt at increasing performance ends up with broken gears. I can't remember the exact ratio off the top of my head but the 454 Alpha package had it's own gear ratio. A beefed small block can explode an Alpha Drive. Leave it all stock and go easy on it. If you get the itch to go faster start with finding some stronger drives before you start cranking up the ponies.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. yeah I just planned on leaving the motors and drives alone. I was going to wait to find a boat with big blocks and bravos but this boat was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

The boat seems like it has all the comforts of a cruiser but with some speed to go with it. I don't expect it to be in the same class as some the better name brand boats. but it will do just fine for me now. I guess if the fell the need for more speed and power I will just have to get a different boat. I've researching doing a swap to a bravo set-up and the price and time it takes I could probably get into a nice 28' boat but I will wait a couple years for the up-grade to a better boat.

Also anyone have any info or experience with these hulls. The survey showed it was dry with only on spot with little moister in the transom where the swim platform bolts go through (getting that fixed now). The lines on the hull look pretty aggressive like a 30' scarab but with a different deck and shorter. anyone have info on the origins of this company's mold? and so on.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost bought one years ago. It was a 29' with 454s but it had king cobra out drives, wich was one of the reason I talked myself out of it. The other was because of the over all workmanship of the boat. Seemed cheaply put together. But as far as looks, I loved it.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Registered

Johnny, please elaborate on the cheaply put together. Are you talking about the interior or the materials used in the hull.

please more info on these hulls.