Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Awesome! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/193706-awesome.html)

Luuk 01-04-2009 05:13 PM

Where you guys at Raylar out for some testruns in San Diego Bay today? :)

Raylar 01-05-2009 04:57 PM

Caught Playing Hookey!!

Yes We were! Thats the nice thing about being in San Diego in sunny Southern California, we can test and run all year long on most days. We are doing some in the boat air/fuel ratio checks on our HO600 engine with Dana Exhaust and Captains Call. We are checking the engine at lower rpms with the system switched to thru the prop exhaust and then at higher rpms with the exhaust out the transom to see the effects on air/fuel ratio's and whether the Captains Call systems are a problem for this engine with its bigger camshaft at idle and low rpms up to 2500 rpms.
You caught me! I promise I'll get right back to the office! Ha!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

4mulafastech 08-16-2009 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by pokerrunboats (Post 2679633)
We are building a Formula with the new 550

but it is a single engine 271

we add Imco extension box with 3 inch rise and large 380 K- Planes to the package

Any performance numbers to report on this 271/LSM550 package?

4mulafastech 08-16-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 2661638)
Thanks for the acknowledgement guys! We are only two years ahead of the rest of the marine engine high performance engine companies!!
The Raylar LSM550 is an awesome package as described.
The LSM550 with a Bravo HR drive and transome weighs right at 756lbs versus a 496HO at 1320lbs so I think the 500 lbs savings per motor is realistic and at about $32K with drive versus $40K plus for HP525 also has a nice price advantage for an all aluminum hand built motor with a 6,000 rpm conservative rev-limit!!
The Formula 292 in Germany has one being installed last week and I don't have performance figures yet, but it should work wonders on an already heavy boat that came with a stock 496HO iron monster!We have two more of these babies being dynoed and broken in on the dyno'sw as we speak and they should be in their respective boats quite soon.
I think if the high performance boat market wasn't in such a down state right now we would probably have more orders than we could even handle!
We have just quoted two to Pantera for use in a new 28footer and I think there is another Sunsation customer ready to order a new 32 with the same Raylar LSM550 twin package. Both boats should be rocket ships with this power to weight ratios and the miserly fuel consumption at cruise will alsobe a big benefit with todays fuel costs.
Raylar knows that as more of these all aluminum beauties reach the market the future will speak for itself.
Just Remember that Dynamite comes in small packages!!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Any updates on these projects?
Thanks!

4mulafastech 08-21-2009 08:50 AM

???

Why is it we only hear how great these engines are on the dyno but nothing about real world applications...:confused:

Raylar 08-21-2009 09:46 AM

4mulafastec:
Because there are not a lot of boaters out there buying new engines and there certainly are not a lot of boat builders building a lot of new boats! If you would like to purchase a Raylar engine for your boat we would certainly like to sell you one. If you know of an engine builder selling a lot of new performance engines right now I certainly would like to know that firm so I can learn from their example and study their success at this product so we could offer a similar product to give our new engine sales a shot in the arm!
You have peaked my curiosity, why is this information so important to you that when I PM'd you and ask you to call me toll free for some information on a few LSM550 users, you do not and instead keep blogging here in this post for information??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Ed 08-21-2009 10:37 AM

Yesterday, Mercury Marine announced the introduction of an all new, aluminum headed, big-block base powerplant, that will be incorporated into their complete engine/drive packages. Its based off GM's LS series of engines. Know the details on it Ray?

4mulafastech 08-21-2009 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 2936554)
4mulafastec:
You have peaked my curiosity, why is this information so important to you that when I PM'd you and ask you to call me toll free for some information on a few LSM550 users, you do not and instead keep blogging here in this post for information??

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

What?! Hey, if you don't have any real world performance information to share with fellow OSO'rs on these 'aluminum beauties' that will make boats 'rocket ships', then just say so. I thought this forum is to share information with everyone, not pm'ing individuals. Jeez, sorry for giving YOU the opportunity to promote/advertise/brag about your new engine package to a large audience. Forget I asked. Give me a break! Good luck on your LSM550 marketing strategy!:lolhit:

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 08-21-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 2936554)
4mulafastec:
Because there are not a lot of boaters out there buying new engines and there certainly are not a lot of boat builders building a lot of new boats! If you would like to purchase a Raylar engine for your boat we would certainly like to sell you one. If you know of an engine builder selling a lot of new performance engines right now I certainly would like to know that firm so I can learn from their example and study their success at this product so we could offer a similar product to give our new engine sales a shot in the arm!
You have peaked my curiosity, why is this information so important to you that when I PM'd you and ask you to call me toll free for some information on a few LSM550 users, you do not and instead keep blogging here in this post for information?
Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

You are correct about the builders & orders. I am fortunate, We are still busy in our Custom & resto shop. But I have had busier years.. ;)

Also on a slightly different note I have seen & know of some of these engines that have been installed. I have not heard anything bad about them other than some people not being willing to pony up the $$. There have been some other posts here & elsewhere with regards to these engines with again nothing bad about them, at least that is to the best of my recollection..

That said, I have been one of Ray's (Raylar's) Dealers for the last several years and have not had any problems with him or his products to date.

Also FYI or to those who may care to know. I am planning to use the LSM 550 in a 20' Cig that we are currently completely redoing. The only reason the engine is not at my shop yet is because the major hull work is still being done. We hopefully will be ready for the engine by late this fall / early winter.. I certainly wouldnt intentionally steer one of my customer's into something that I thought was a waste or problematic.. I do think that if the economy as a whole was better that you would see more boats with this power in them. Both new & old.

I hope this info helps everybody.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations.

Rik 08-21-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by spilman (Post 2662026)
Well, that's a great question; one that I have yet to get a definite answer from Pat on. I have not put it on the scales; plus I would be estimating my trailer weight. BUT.....if a single bbc 28AT weighs 4600-4800 dry, then I estimate my AT w/ twin sb & Bravos to be 5400-5600 dry....realistic wet weight is more like 6500#'s.
So, although it is a good bit lighter than a newer 292; w/o steps we run within 1mph @wot...I think.
I'm @ 71.5mph @ 4800. Well, I was until my port engine started knocking....not sure what I will do next.
I've recently learned how cost prohibitive : realistic results/reliability any upgrades will be;...just fix'r up and go boatin'.

Sure would love the LSM 550's though...I guess I'll start a fund...Any donations?

My customer's 28 AT single engine FORD weighs 7,000 lbs. If he was lucky enough to be 5-6 he would be estatic.