Notices

Awesome!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Apparently this 292 has them. I sure would like to see a performance write-up on that rig!

http://www.boatshop24.com/web/en/suc...totalcount=157
Strange thing about that boat - I wonder if it actually exists. If you look at the pictures on that site, every pic appears to be a different boat - Paint scheme doesn't match in any of the 2 pictures...

Maybe 'if you buy it, they will build it'...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercury's (Noah's?) formula for speed is:

Hull efficiency (Assume 250 for a late model V-hull)
______________________ (divided by)

Square root of:

total weight

As a base line, an 8500 vee hull with fuel and 2 passengers with twin 525 EFI (really 540HP ea +/-) with a "250" hull efficiency = 89.1 MPH (hull efficiency is a constant)

The same twin engine "Rayar powered" boat (assumes right balance) with same 1080 HP but 1000 lbs less (7500 lbs) total weight = 94.9 MPH

Maybe Raylar just needs a better marketing program...
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Registered

nice, where is raylar located?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rhsj2006
Strange thing about that boat - I wonder if it actually exists. If you look at the pictures on that site, every pic appears to be a different boat - Paint scheme doesn't match in any of the 2 pictures...

Maybe 'if you buy it, they will build it'...
Yes, that is what I suspect as well. I would love to open one of the performance magazines and see a detailed write-up on that very combination (and I'm sure you would too!) I would think if Raylar provided a sweet deal to one of the big Formula dealers, and the combintation lives up to the performance we anticipate, that would really create more interest and drive new business.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

I have been talking about these motors on here in a couple different threads...they are awesome!!
If Raylar wanted some excellent exposure they would rig my 28 Active Thunder with twins and some Imco drives and I could demo for as many customers as they wanted!!
That would be a perfect application for those 550's!
Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Strip- the PB Mag article mentions the torque curve - at 3,000 rpm it makes 500 ft pounds of tq- it also says "with electronic variable cam timing, we can build a torque curve that's almost like a diesel engine, but with a much wider rpm range.

pretty good TQ for a sb,so it would be close to a big block

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
I have been talking about these motors on here in a couple different threads...they are awesome!!
If Raylar wanted some excellent exposure they would rig my 28 Active Thunder with twins and some Imco drives and I could demo for as many customers as they wanted!!
That would be a perfect application for those 550's!
Now that would be a nice package and should really fly! What does a 28 AT weigh in at? A 292 is heavy at 7500 lbs dry, although it does have twin steps...
Old 08-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
That is a bad azz engine. Maybe after some more guinea pigs report good results I'd take a closer look.

You're in the perfect situation! oink oink lol
Old 08-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
However, Mercury Racing lists the HP 525 EFI at 1,152 lbs- The HP 700 SCi weighs 1,326 lbs! - (these weights are without the drives!!) The Raylar 550 is WAY LIGHTER
Unless they're making them entirely from depleted uranium, those numbers are way high. A pan-to-carb BBC weighs about 600 lbs.

Those numbers have to be drives, gimbals, and a fully-dressed engine, from exhaust manifolds to coolers, pumps, alternator, etc.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Raylar's LSM550

Thanks for the acknowledgement guys! We are only two years ahead of the rest of the marine engine high performance engine companies!!
The Raylar LSM550 is an awesome package as described.
The LSM550 with a Bravo HR drive and transome weighs right at 756lbs versus a 496HO at 1320lbs so I think the 500 lbs savings per motor is realistic and at about $32K with drive versus $40K plus for HP525 also has a nice price advantage for an all aluminum hand built motor with a 6,000 rpm conservative rev-limit!!
The Formula 292 in Germany has one being installed last week and I don't have performance figures yet, but it should work wonders on an already heavy boat that came with a stock 496HO iron monster!
We have two more of these babies being dynoed and broken in on the dyno'sw as we speak and they should be in their respective boats quite soon.
I think if the high performance boat market wasn't in such a down state right now we would probably have more orders than we could even handle!
We have just quoted two to Pantera for use in a new 28footer and I think there is another Sunsation customer ready to order a new 32 with the same Raylar LSM550 twin package. Both boats should be rocket ships with this power to weight ratios and the miserly fuel consumption at cruise will alsobe a big benefit with todays fuel costs.
Raylar knows that as more of these all aluminum beauties reach the market the future will speak for itself.
Just Remember that Dynamite comes in small packages!!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 08-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.