Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Accident at the the  NY/Battle on the Bay/Geico Triple Crown race. >

Accident at the the NY/Battle on the Bay/Geico Triple Crown race.

Notices

Accident at the the NY/Battle on the Bay/Geico Triple Crown race.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dejana4Life
Also thanks for making me part of the family, unfortunate it had to come this way.
So... is your name Bruce?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dejana4Life
Also thanks for making me part of the family, unfortunate it had to come this way.
So... is your name Bruce? Tell us a little about yourself...

Oz
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

So sorry to hear of this accident. My condolences go out to all family and friends. I am hopeful that this tragic loss can teach us new techniques for improving to racing safety for everyone in the future.

Michael
Old 08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guy's, Bruce(IMAX) and I have designed a beautiful Logo along with Smitty and Louie The Rigger with the Areo Express Boat, Phil and Kevins names with Rest In Peace for all the race boats both sides. We can put those along side the #57 and will be a beautiful tribute to our brothers Phil and Kevin. Both Phil and Kevin's Family wanted one so Bruce will enlage them and frame them for the Family. They will be ready for the Point Pleasant Race. Hope this helps in some small way to HONOR these men.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
#113 Gieco boat# 57 Aero Express in the picture Sharkey posted is great shot in memory once again RIP
Thanks !
MGR has made one for their site with that image:
Attached Thumbnails Accident at the the  NY/Battle on the Bay/Geico Triple Crown race.-aero-mgr.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AugiePensa
Guy's, Bruce(IMAX) and I have designed a beautiful Logo along with Smitty and Louie The Rigger with the Areo Express Boat, Phil and Kevins names with Rest In Peace for all the race boats both sides. We can put those along side the #57 and will be a beautiful tribute to our brothers Phil and Kevin. Both Phil and Kevin's Family wanted one so Bruce will enlage them and frame them for the Family. They will be ready for the Point Pleasant Race. Hope this helps in some small way to HONOR these men.
I look forward to seeing it Augie. I am sure it will be great !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
a99
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "57"

link to http://stevewiencek.smugmug.com/gall...58492675_ecXLT
some photos i took of the race. the gallery is dedicated to "57" friends and family. all photos can be right clicked and are in original resolution. eight bells.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
VIP Member

Was away when I got the news, was in the Pocono's with Jack's youngest son Travis celebrating his 8th birthday. His boys are so proud of their Dad and the accomplished racer he was. It makes me smile when I hear them talk about him. After hearing of the accident my heart started to feel that grief that comes from losing a teammate and friend we know it all to well. We are sorry for your loss. Our condolences to the Aero Express Race Team, Phil and Kevin's family and friend's .

For The Love of the Sport,
Howard and Marie
R&S Offshore Racing
F2-19-P3-19-P4-19-419
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
So... is your name Bruce?
Last name...

I'm female
Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

Boat race victims remembered at joint funeralBY CARL MACGOWAN | [email protected]
6:55 PM EDT, August 28, 2008
Two men who died Sunday when their catamaran crashed during a boat race on Great South Bay were remembered Thursday as fierce competitors.

During a joint funeral at St. Peter of Alcantara Roman Catholic Church in Port Washington, coffins bearing the remains of Kevin Graff and Philip Dejana sat side by side as relatives described the men as devoted uncles and good friends.

More than a dozen mourners stood in the aisles of the packed church during the nearly 90-minute service.

Peter Dejana said his brother, who was also his business partner, was a "ferocious competitor" both at work and on the water.

"For him, racing was pedal to the metal. There was no other way," said Dejana, 68, of Sands Point. "Phil and Kevin raced on Sunday. They raced to win. They didn't win. They lost. We all lost, big-time."

Dejana, 62, of Bayville, and Graff, 48, of Port Washington, died Sunday when their 37-foot, twin-engine catamaran flipped during the Battle on the Bay powerboat race off Patchogue. The boat was traveling between 90 and 100 mph, officials said.

Suffolk police are still investigating the cause of the crash.

Graff, an electrician, and Dejana, vice president of Dejana Industries, a facilities maintenance company, were friends and golf partners who raced together on the Aero Express Race Team. Dejana was married more than 40 years to his wife, Linda, and Graff was engaged to be married.

"We ought to be celebrating their lives, not mourning their deaths," said Peter Dejana, who called his brother his "lifelong collaborator."

"But for me," he said, pausing to choke back tears, "this is not a time for celebration. ... For me, this is a time for mourning."

Dejana said his brother was a "weather aficionado" who tracked storms on his office computer and helped company employees shovel snow.

"All the workers at Dejana, when it snows, they will miss him," Peter Dejana said.

Graff loved "all things fast," said his nephew and godson, Ryan Roberts, who said his uncle's childhood nickname was "Kevie Boy."

Roberts said Graff was known as "Uncle Candy Man" to his nieces and nephews because he often favored them with sweets.

"He will continue to live through the incredible life that we all shared," Roberts said.

Graff's niece Courtney Steinaway recalled conversations with her uncle in the family's backyard. "You were like a father to me," she said.

Dejana and Graff were buried Thursday at Nassau Knolls Cemetery in Port Washington.

Quick Reply: Accident at the the NY/Battle on the Bay/Geico Triple Crown race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.