Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New computer hooked up. What the F^%$???? Help!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19405-new-computer-hooked-up-what-f%5E%25%24-help.html)

Crazyhorse 03-04-2002 10:30 PM

Mike, Ken could not retrieve the video card driver from your old hard drive. You are running on a generic driver. He tried downloading a driver from the card maker's website but they went out of business. We probably ought to get you a new video card. They're cheap.

Outrageous 03-04-2002 10:33 PM

Might try swaping video cards with the one that was on the moitor before. You need the correct drivers for each make of card to take advantage of it.

Waterfoul 03-04-2002 10:36 PM

So, now I'm back on the other computer. Nice to have a back up I guess.....

So, who's gonna stop over and fix this for me? When it comes to taking them apart and changing cards, I'm still a virgin. Never been INSIDE a computer before.

Tinkerer 03-04-2002 10:40 PM

MIKE it's easy just make sure you touch the case before touching anything inside the box. (static elect. -- very bad)

Scott 03-05-2002 07:51 AM

Mike,

I have a video card you can have. I should be in the area next week.
Scott

Von Bongo 03-05-2002 08:10 AM

Who made your video card? Ususally the chips are pretty generic like Nvidia or a hand full of others. There are a lot of places to get drivers for Video cards, you just need to know what you have. I have seen at least one site that had drivers for video cards that went back 4 or 5 years.

If you have a windows setp disc, full version, it will have some versions, not always the last one put out by the mfgr, but usually good enough.. Also if you post the video card, I am sure someone has the same on if it was popular at all and could e-mail you the driver or burn it to CD.

Buying a new one is also an idea, if it's a 4 or 8 meg card I'd get a new one anyway.

euby 03-05-2002 09:17 AM

Drivers board

go to www.driverguide.com ...they have just about all video drivers from the last 7 years

logon: drivers
password: all

Clay Washington 03-05-2002 10:22 AM

Video Card Drivers

As many have said, you need to load the drivers for your video card. This is a fairly simple process if you have the drivers!

Follow the advise of others and try to find the proper drivers for your video card. Otherwise, it's off to the store to buy a new one.

Good Luck! :D

Gunfighter 03-05-2002 08:57 PM

euby,

that's the page I was trying to remember!

Vonbongo

Waterfoul 03-05-2002 09:21 PM

I talked to a computer expert today about my problem. He suggested I just get a new video card and download the drivers for it. But, they were out of the cheap one (is $65 cheap???) and the next one up was quite a bit more.

Oh, and he gets $39 to instal it. For that, I CAN change it myself!!!