Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is my streak of good luck coming to an end? >

Is my streak of good luck coming to an end?

Notices

Is my streak of good luck coming to an end?

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a custom home builder and we have switched to all plastic water supply pipes. We build about 40-50 homes per year and literally every single home had it's copper water lines stolen. This went along with the broken windows to get in and then the chopped up romex wiring that the got 2 cents a pound for. The plastic pipe has really helped. The 2 times someone got caught the cops said they were meth heads.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
This wire thief had a bit of difficulty...

You may want to wait until breakfast settles.

I had a feeling when I read it that it was this Powerpoint.... I had that sent to me awhile ago....

I'm the Service Manager for a Large Electrical Company in the Metro DC area, we have over 70 Service Trucks on the road in my Dept. alone, copper has gone through the roof buying it and estimating it for jobs. We have gotten to the point where we order the wire for feeders and such for that day and pull it in, terminate and energize it, so if they want to steal it usually there still there when we get in the next morning!!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry Gino for your misfortune, hopefully Insurance will take care of it for you so your not out of pocket and inconveinced...

Chris Sunken
here is a video for you, guy working in a Commercial Switchgear and making a mistake..... We do this type of work everyday and we have had some guys make mistakes, we wear special suits and gloves now with at least a face shield for the flash.... It is not fun to go to the Hospital for one of your guys and there using a wire brush on his skin to get down to the bone to treat the burn!!!!

Pat
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Arc_Flash.wmv (1.03 MB, 42 views)
Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Austin we've had a couple of mental giants go into substations and try to steal some of the cooper wire. I think the police have recovered 2 bodies so far in the last 6 or 8 months. I guess you might brush up on how electricity works before you try to steal "hot" wires.
Jay
Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All my guys are trained on this stuff. We have cranes on our trucks so they have to have the overhead wiring training. We also do the arc-flash stuff. We don't do anything really big but 575 will still mess a guy up.

And with all that training, one of our crews still caught a cable on the feedrails of an overhead crane a few weeks ago. Nothing like a giant electrified truck.

I got to see a major arc flash this last winter. I was on the road and had pulled off the highway for a burger. They were finishing up putting a new gas station sign on one of those hundred-foot+ poles. The crew was lowering this enormous crane boom and hit these very high up transmission-line wires. I thought someone had detonated a nuke.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
I had four AC units stolen from my shop this spring. Now here is the sticky part, roofer hired AC company to remove them from roof (roof was being replaced), while on the concrete behind the building they were stolen, so who is to blame?? Roofer says its was the AC company who should replace them since they took them down, I said I don't care but it sure is hell isn't my fault. I paid for a new roof, my units being gone was not part of the deal, insurance won't cover it since they were not on the roof, Well 4 months and I still don't have AC. Oh to top it off, the roofer stiffed the AC company and they are threating to take me to court for removing the units, I told them I would pay in full when they put them back up. Oh and their bill includes the contracted time to put the units back up.

Phuck
If the roofer hired the AC contractor and you're paying the roofer for the AC guys service then the Roofer is responsible for making sure you get paid for your stollen AC units...... To you it doesn't matter where and how the money gets in your hands.... Roofer needs to step up and act like a man!

Last year I had my roof, siding and windows re-done. My gutters are leafguard gutters and cost a lot... When we started the project I told the GC that we were re-using the gutters because they were expensive.... The roof was subbed out to a roofing company and when I came home from work I found my expensive leafguard gutters folded up in the scrap pile..... I called up the GC and he had to eat it and bought me new gutters and litres.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
I can't believe this but at the entrance to my NEW JERSEY house development there was a bronze statue of a bird worth about $20,000.I found out that the 2 young thieves stole it,cut it up,and sold it to a scrap yard located about a mile away from where it was stolen.I found out that they were caught because one of the parents turned them in after reading about it in the paper and finding some unsold parts of the bird in the family garage.I do have some good news though,the parts were recovered and can be welded or be brazed back together and is covered by our homeowners association insurance policy.I hope the insurance company goes after them for payment because our legal system will do nothing.

try them as a adult,20k felony

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.