Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help for boat owner who have boats that dont run, need resto, or are out this season (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194214-help-boat-owner-who-have-boats-dont-run-need-resto-out-season.html)

32fever 08-30-2008 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 2668221)
My boat runs, but the motors are coming out next month. Freshening them up, painting the bilge, new dashboard, etc...hopefully it will fair better than:

My 1973 Corvette...needs a new front bumper, which I have purchased a year ago and is still in the box...
My Yamaha 700SRX snowmobile...needed a new suspension part, which I have purchased and is still in the box (and the sled in pieces)...
My 1990 Kawasaki 550SX Jet Ski...needs a new motor and has been in a state of major disrepair for a couple years now...
My 1992 Kawasaki 750SX Jet Ski...needs a major motor rebuild...sitting (still in one piece) next to the sled...

Ahhh....too many freakin' toys!!!!!!!!!! (I love it, tho!!!)

Your problem is, you don't own enough boats. :D

If you bring cars into it, that is more depressing.

I feel for those that don't use their boats. We went a summer without using our boat when we had kids, and that was tough to do. Our new boat has been in and out of the shop for things, but usable on weekends.

I need to finish putting a radiator in my 78 Lincoln so we can do our fall color tour car cruise and my Iroc needs an alternator. (runs great, just not for long..LOL!) 8 cars and 2 boats, 12 motors to keep running, not counting the tractors and yard tool motors. It's really a disease. I need therapy. "sell it all, you can still drink alcohol standing or kneeling in a kiddie pool, you don't need a lake"

sean stinson 08-30-2008 08:55 AM

Hey its a classic dont ever lose sight of that no more will ever be built under the apache name or for that fact on 188th St by Bobby Saccenti so hoist your beer (or whatever you drink) and drink to the cause my friend for you have one of the few!!!

Chris Sunkin 08-30-2008 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 2669324)
I think I have ya'll beat.
The scary thing is, the boat was in GREAT shape when I bought it in '04. I just wanted to update "some stuff" and make it "my" boat. Well, I didn't know when to stop. Now I know exactly what I got and the boat looks like it was in a time warp - cause it looks like it rolled out of the 188th Street factory last week.

Close, but...

41 Apache- nice running boat. Decided to do a #6 upgrade. The boat right now is stripped bare- not a bolt or screw in it. No tanks, nothing. I have all the parts, now I need to begin reassembly.

35 Cig- another nice running boat... gone wrong. Decided to do new vinyl and some paint touchup and just use it while the Apache progressed. Presently sitting at Glassdave's shop, stripped bare. Paint is progressing, Konrad conversion. 2 brand new 454's replacing with 565's w/8-71's. Complete re-rig

Cig 24- bare hull- going to be mini-me version of the 35. In process of collecting the pieces

Spectra 19- another "just use it" boat. Stripped bare, working on prep for paint this weekend. New motor on my shop floor now. interior almost done. It should be wrapped up right about the time the lakes skim over with ice.

... and I can't keep from trolling Ebay and the classifieds for another one. You guys have hobbies, I have issues. ;)

twin screws 08-30-2008 09:45 AM

The worst thing that can happen, I think is to have to sell your boat. In 2005 I ordered a new Cigarette. Since, things have gone to hell. Had to sell. Real Bummer. Hope to buy next year, we will see. If I can figure out how I will post a pic. Sorry I don't know how to size.

Audiofn 08-30-2008 10:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Bill when you have a picture like this..... Give me a call. :D

bouyhunter 08-30-2008 10:52 AM

Yep, I'm a member of this club.
Bought a running 24' Pantera a year ago this weekend, tore it apart as soon as I got it home, and then work schedule went to hell.

I need three things to all come together at the same time, and I'll get the boat done.

1. Time.
2. Energy.
3. $Money$.

I've been lacking in one of these at all times. I need all three.
I just got home from work a little while ago, and not feeling too bad.
I have two and a half days in front of me before I need to go back to work.
Just got a promotion and a bonus.
I think all three are lining up for me right now to go get something done.
Thanks.
This thread is giving me a kick in the azz to get to work.:cool:

cosmic12 08-30-2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by twin screws (Post 2669472)
The worst thing that can happen, I think is to have to sell your boat. In 2005 I ordered a new Cigarette. Since, things have gone to hell. Had to sell. Real Bummer. Hope to buy next year, we will see. If I can figure out how I will post a pic. Sorry I don't know how to size.

I feel your pain. I had a new o6 A.T. got one season and had to see it go due to things beyond my controll.:angry-smiley-038: Now I am working all over the country and am never home long enough to get a project started BUT!!!! I am looking and will find something to help make my life more difficult:rolleyes:

jeff1000man 08-30-2008 02:27 PM

I don't really care about the sinking of the money into the projects.

I hate thinking of all the money I ay for storage every month just to not get to work on the projects that are in those storage buildings.

If I combined the money for storage and the boats, and the parts, I could have bought a really, really nice one.

But i have really cool neighbors who all have projects, so we jsut turned it into a social club.

All Hail the Boat Project gods.

WMF 08-30-2008 02:40 PM

All these post has made me feel better about my boat and the money I dumped into it!!!!!, I would like to thank everyone for sharing thier pain and loss. I am glad I am not the only one out there in this situation!!!!!!:ernaehrung004:

jeff1000man 08-30-2008 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Apache Brave (Post 2669678)
All these post has made me feel better about my boat and the money I dumped into it!!!!!, I would like to thank everyone for sharing thier pain and loss. I am glad I am not the only one out there in this situation!!!!!!:ernaehrung004:

You may not like this, but, It is not a situation, it is a CHOICE. You made it just like the rest of us.

I think that should be the opening of the meetings.

Start with Hello, My name is Jeff.

---- Hi Jeff

I make "questionable" choices regarding boat ownership.

---- Welcome to the meeting Jeff

You guys know the rest.