Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help for boat owner who have boats that dont run, need resto, or are out this season (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194214-help-boat-owner-who-have-boats-dont-run-need-resto-out-season.html)

Ratickle 08-31-2008 04:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 2669805)
What is an Empress? pics? $$$ also how about info on the Bonanza I have a 14 yr old that might need something to keep him outa trouble.

The Empress is 23' 8" model Marlin of Oregon built in the 80's for a couple of years. It has a modified V at about 18 degree trans/21 degree entry and is good for playing. Rides hard in the real rough stuff on Lake Michigan though. Has a built 509 w/Bravo. Came with 260/Alpha.

The Bonanza is 10' copy of a GW Invader. I'm running a 50 Merc with a manual plate and tabs. Anything over about 1' gets crazy. Havn't run it in years.

Chris Sunkin 08-31-2008 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2669685)
You may not like this, but, It is not a situation, it is a CHOICE. You made it just like the rest of us.

Sometimes it's choice, but many times... especially the first time- it's inexperience compounded by naivete with a little poor judgement sprinkled on top. And some times it's wishful thinking and blind passion.

And the rest of us should know better by now but we continue to do it.

bouyhunter 08-31-2008 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Apache Brave (Post 2669678)
All these post has made me feel better about my boat and the money I dumped into it!!!!!, I would like to thank everyone for sharing thier pain and loss. I am glad I am not the only one out there in this situation!!!!!!:ernaehrung004:

See, this is why I was giving you such a hard time in your thread about selling or keeping the Apache. Believe it or not, I'm really on your side on this one. I just want to see you do the right thing.
This thread made be go out and do the right thing yesterday.
I went out and removed the windshield on my boat. The only reason I hadn't already done it was because I didn't want to get that deep into this project.
But it's the right thing to do - if I'm going to do it right.
Today I'm going to yank the whole dash pod out, wasn't planning on going this far right now, but there is no sense in doing it half-azzed.

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2669685)
You may not like this, but, It is not a situation, it is a CHOICE. You made it just like the rest of us.

I think that should be the opening of the meetings.

Start with Hello, My name is Jeff.

---- Hi Jeff

I make "questionable" choices regarding boat ownership.

---- Welcome to the meeting Jeff

You guys know the rest.

When I was a young man, my Father ( a man of very few words) said one thing to me that has stuck with me more than anyone has ever said in my life.
A Man is a Man when he makes a decision. Right or wrong, a Man makes a decision for a reason, and at the time the decision is the right one to make. That Man knows he will have to live with that decision, and all it's repercussions.

jeff1000man 08-31-2008 09:41 AM

I am going to take aart everything I one so that I will be making the decision to do it right. THose damn engineers and assemblymen at the factory had no idea what they were doing. I am going to fix all of their mistakes.

Just kidding. but a little sarcasm from time to time is good.

Ratickle 08-31-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2670196)
I am going to take aart everything I one so that I will be making the decision to do it right. THose damn engineers and assemblymen at the factory had no idea what they were doing. I am going to fix all of their mistakes.

Just kidding. but a little sarcasm from time to time is good.

I didn't think you were kidding. It's the motto we all live by.

Chris Sunkin 09-01-2008 10:17 AM

That's not too far off-base on alot of brands. Some are built purely for show with little effort put into the parts you can't see. Others are masterfully built in some areas and cobble together in others. I dn't know of any of them that couldn't be made a bit better with some attention and quality components.

Prater 06-25-2009 01:11 PM

I now feel better about my project. At least I have the Sea Ray as backup...

Thanks Guys...

Ryan8886 06-25-2009 08:51 PM

Hoping to feel better about mine soon too....started last fall with a "simple" gimble ring and drive coupler job and slowly morphed into a full on restoration once things got dug into....a transom here.....some balsa and stringers there....next thing I know there's no boat for this season.....latest estimate puts her in the water in 4 weeks...at least I'll have a little season left. Glad yours got back and running!

Audiofn 06-25-2009 11:01 PM

Biggus and I were ripping into my 311 earlier this year and when I had the water pick ups off to get them fixed he wanted me to check the transom. I was afraid to. He finally got me to push the screw driver in there and boy was I releived when the wood was solid. :D