Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Michael Vorce...he is at it again!!!!!!!! >

Michael Vorce...he is at it again!!!!!!!!

Notices

Michael Vorce...he is at it again!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all know the risk of our sport and Mike Scafidi or John Desusa knew the risk as well. I am sure that had these two men had something to say about this they would have NEVER wanted any one sued over their decision to go out on the boats that day. As my wife and I talked about this thread this morning we have the best answer. No one should be allowed to run in a poker run without first signing a waiver and second to have a permission slip from their family
Mike Scafidi had a child that was less than 1 year old when this accident happened. It is his fault that his kids don’t have a dad and maybe his wife’s fault for letting him run in the event

New rules for all Poker Runs PERMISION SLIPS FROM THE FAMILY
Sorry i am all fired up this morning over the stupidity of us being sued and the familys now being weathy
Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boatme
I talked to a lawyer about this yesterday and he has worked federal cases before
Mike has shown he likes to be a snitch and I was told that if he finds more to snitch on while he is in the pen he can take that to the courts and negotiate his info for more time off Trust me he will roll over on anyone (and maybe make stuff up) to get more time knocked off
I am happy with a little wager my bet is he sees 5 to 7
The old snitch clause! LOL! Ok.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 10-31-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Man gets 5½ years in yacht sales fraud
By Bruce Vielmetti of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: May 24, 2010 4:54 p.m. |(1) Comments

One of two Michigan men who stole a Milwaukee lawyer's identity as part of an elaborate fraud that involved the financing of bogus yacht sales was sentenced Monday to 5½ years in federal prison.

James C. Jett and his co-conspirator, Michael B. Vorce, must also pay $3.5 million restitution.

According to court records:

Vorce, who ran a yacht brokerage in western Michigan, was cooperating with the FBI in 2007 about $20 million in fraud he already had committed when he approached Jett about helping him in a new financing scheme. They identified potential victims by searching sales of high-end homes in the Midwest, then got their Social Security numbers and credit reports. Next they would establish fake e-mail addresses, phone numbers and driver's licenses in those names and use the "shadow identities" to set up sales and purchases of non-existent yachts. They obtained loans ranging from $179,000 to $959,000, for a total about $5.5 million.

They then laundered the loan proceeds by using the money to buy gold coins from a California company, and then reselling the coins for cash to an Arizona company.

They set up sale of a 48-foot Sea Ray using the identity of Milwaukee lawyer Michael Berzowski and obtained a $391,450 loan. When the pair went to Chicago for the loan proceeds in September 2008, they were arrested..

Vorce pleaded guilty to charges in federal court in Grand Rapids, Mich., and was sentenced last fall to 12 years in prison and ordered to pay nearly $25 million restitution.

Jett, 32, was suffering from bipolar disorder and joined in the scheme during a manic phase, his attorney told U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa. The 5½-year term, which was less than what guidelines recommended, will be followed by five years of supervised release.

Jett must surrender July 26 to begin serving his sentence.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me the length people will go to just to steal from other people.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Never fear...he'll be back at it as soon as he's out of the klink.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Interesting stuff

I got a call from an attorney yesterday regaurding Vorce and particulars surounding his family

Very interesting how much is still going on behind the scenes

It caused me to go back through all my emails from and to Mike

Amazing the revelations as you look back on all the old mail (i saved alot of interesting stuff)