Notices

Cone Job Gone Bad!!?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cone Job Gone Bad!!?

What is going on here - Bad cone job and bondo coming off or something more crazy - what needs to be done to fix this problem - Don't really need a cone only running 50-55mph - Not real sure of the year but might be a '90 bravo1 -
Attached Thumbnails Cone Job Gone Bad!!?-pict0206.jpg   Cone Job Gone Bad!!?-pict0207.jpg   Cone Job Gone Bad!!?-pict0209.jpg  

Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

bu bu bu bu bayyyad....bad to the cone!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered

That's what I thought - remove it and try to rework to original - Easy fix or gut wrenching - All new to me - And should I worry about it this season or fix it over winter?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered

Thanks Daredevil - I'll clean it - patch it - and ride the season out - Still would like to know what to do over the winter for a permanent fix - any and all help is great -
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

get that skeg fixed too. the can weld it all at the same time this winter
Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 AM

You should at least smooth it out and paint it for this season and then deal with it over the winter. The rough spot cause aeration and that will burn your prop, you will start to have dull looking spots on it and it will eat it away over time, doesn't take that long either. As others said, at your speed you are best off just removing it and repairing the front of the lower unit. It is not that big of a deal, just takes some patience to make it look good. Pretty similar to body work really. When you do repair it properly just make sure you use a filler material that doesn't contain and metal, if it is dissimilar to the alloy used in the case corrosion can get ugly quick.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Registered

Yea I'll clean it up and repaint it or seal it for this year - I also thought that aeration could affect the prop - I even noticed a little spin and had to trim down - What about the skeg? - semms a little short maybe - what do you see racesdad?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered

Thought about a new lower but yea it is a boat and spending is easy to come buy - I need to decide what is more important on the spending - want to upgrade to many things - motor, lower, interior, guages, stereo, etc, - I love my boat
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cone is held on with some very tough epoxy. I've seen lowers that hit submerged hazards and were destroued, but the cones stayed on. The bondo job on the other hand...

Looking at the lower, it appears there's some crusty areas under the paint. And god only knows what that flat black paint is- maybe something left over from touching up the barbeque grille? Anyway, body filler isn't waterproof- not close. Submerged it's like a sponge. Water will penetrate just about everything so if it was left in the water much at all, the filler was doomed. West makes a filler that's much better. maybe PM glassdave for the number- it escapes me at the moment.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, too much advise, let's send this over to uncensored and put some real cones in it Chris is on the money, fill and fair it with West system epoxy. Then paint a cool color like silver, everyone will think you have an XR.

Quick Reply: Cone Job Gone Bad!!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.