Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/194488-don-johnson-still-sport-any-way.html)

PhantomChaos 09-03-2008 11:17 AM

Thanks 7xChamp!!!! Forget what Stinson says.......he's not old school....just OLD! :D

Edward R. Cozzi 09-03-2008 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 2672402)
I heard awhile back he was selling his car collection off to pay bills.

No, that was ME!

DaveP 09-03-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 7xchamp (Post 2672920)
All for now, like I said many stories.

Imagine....7xchamp, T2x, Brownie and Bobby Saccenti in a room for 5 hours telling storys from the good ole days????

That would be a pretty awesome venue! (plus an 18 wheeler of beer!)

Shanghied Again 09-03-2008 12:21 PM

I was Don`s T-man and team mgr. when we ran the 50` Revenge Cat with four 1,100 hp Coyote SC motors. I could write a book on the entire adventure, and maybe will someday, but for now I will try to lend some first hand info.
We had major sponsorship from Revlon, Trump, Samsonite, Perry Ellis, Mercury, and Brooke Yachts. Those sponsors basically covered the cost from boat, equip. and expense`s. Don had very little out of pocket, and when the boat was sold he got all the money from the sale, so he made out probably better than anyone in the history of the sport.
I still speak with him occasionally, he is done with boats, and has been for years, financially he is no problem.
As for when OPT was formed and why. It all started with the worlds in Atlantic city at Trump Castle ( our sponsor ). All the drivers and crews got upset over a small stupid thing which was reporting for physicals and drivers meetings @ 7:00 am in the morning, when everyone knew there was not going to be a race for at least next couple of days due to Hurricane like conditions. The biggest gripe was the officials who were acting like police and not giving info. as to the fact that we were not racing insisted on the same drill for two mornings in a row were physicals, and early morning drivers meeting with storm outside blowing a gale. The officials ( god bless them ) were only volunteers, but with the shirts were officials and acted as such, which upset most of the owners and drivers, because they had such control over them. That`s when it started with why do we have to take orders from volunteers, and an organizer/race chairman that was clearly not communicating with the teams, and making them jump hurdles for no reason . It could have been posted the night before, no race next day, no physicals, no drivers meeting, instead half the day was wasted waiting for drivers meeting, physicals etc. to be completed. In those days physicals alone for all the teams took several hours to complete. D.J., Copeland, Marks, et al got together and decided they wanted a professional organization like winston cup, Indy etc. with paid officials etc. so formed Offshore Pro Tour OPT. Rest was history. During that time Offshore made it`s way to ABC wide world of sports with Roone Arledge at the time as producer. ESPN etc etc. Say what you want but when the Movie Stars were racing the crowds were huge. I remember when Barb. Strieshand and Don were in Michigan for a race, it was impossible to get through the crowds, same when Kurt Russell ran with us as navigator and once as driver, we had Goldie, Melanie, all the kids, Chuck Norris and Reggie Fountain, all crowd pleasers. I remember awards ceremonies with thousands of people to see the stars and get autographs.
So everyone knows, Don was and is a great friend and was a very good guy around the race sites, always was one of the guys. He got a bad rap from people if he didn`t answer there requests for something, they thought he was an ******* because he would not sign autographs in the middle of a meeting or when he was eating, I saw both sides, and I saw how much he contributed to Offshore at the time. I will stick up for him anytime, anywhere as a good guy and one who loved the sport and the challenge. All for now, like I said many stories.

Do you know if Don still owns his white and yellow Donzi 38ZX that he used in one show like 4 years ago it was the 575 package with rear scoops. Or is he out totally?

VinMan 09-03-2008 12:21 PM

Celebs racing offshore would be a big boost to the sport. It would definately boost spectatorship, and maybe even get us some decent media coverage and respect.

Anarchy Powerboats 09-03-2008 12:24 PM

Don could live off the Nash Bridges residuals alone.................

Edward R. Cozzi 09-03-2008 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by VinMan (Post 2673040)
Celebs racing offshore would be a big boost to the sport. It would definately boost spectatorship, and maybe even get us some decent media coverage and respect.

That's for sure. I had the fun of throttling the 47' Apache "INXS" in the Long Beach, CA race with a bunch of movie stars in April of 1990. Don Johnson, Kurt Russell, Chuck Norris, Richie Powers...everybody was there. The media coverage was awesome...and the women! ESPN used to cover the OPT circuit back then. "Those were the days, my friend..."

7xchamp 09-03-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP (Post 2673034)
Imagine....7xchamp, T2x, Brownie and Bobby Saccenti in a room for 5 hours telling storys from the good ole days????

That would be a pretty awesome venue! (plus an 18 wheeler of beer!)

Next year at the second anual Don Aronow race, plans are under way to have the legends back that were there this year plus many many more. I am hoping for a taped round table discussion, open to the public. Questions to be asked will be, How did you get started? What was your most exciting race? what was your toughest race? Who was your toughest competitor, What was your worst scarriest moment, and why? What was your favorite boat and race? What boats did you race? Tell us about your record/records.
I guess you all can get the jest of what I would like to accomplish. This would be done with the help of T2x as narrator, and Phil Lewis as producer????????? Legends need legends. At the round table I would also invite Johnnie T. Hagin, Teague, and others who could relate back to the old days, I would like to hear there comments on some of the legends stories, and how they relate to todays racing. At the last reunion I was proud to introduce Odell Lewis to the new guys, and thanks to the Searace book was able to show guys what we used to do, like running Turbine boats in 1965 from Long Beach to San Fran. and back single race. etc. etc. When the new guys and legends started talking there was no stopping, and the mutual admiration was incredible, everyone was signing autographs for each other, I heard lots of WOW`s and lots of NO WAY`s. Should be fun, all input is appreciated and sponsorship for the event would be a major help. It`s one way of preserving offshore for future generations. I`m upset that Al Copeland, Rocky, Tom Gentry, Smitty, Sirois and so many others could not have taken part, but we all have great stories about them that can be told. Also at this legends event I would like to invite the families of the ones I have spoken of, and maybe dedicate a place in the room for a reeth with a picture, throttlemen, drivers, crew etc. It`s time to remember our heritage and pay some overdue respect. Please!!! help with sponsorship for the event would be much appreciated, it could help pay some expenses for the legends that don`t have the means anymore, Plus cover the costs of the Video equip., room etc.. Some Food for thought is that it may be a good time to start the legends hall of fame, by inducting the first five legends based on there history and contribution to the sport. Could be the Tom Gentry Legends hall of fame. Thanks. Remember the racers of today will be the legends of tomorrow.

baddogz28 09-03-2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi (Post 2673049)
That's for sure. I had the fun of throttling the 47' Apache "INXS" in the Long Beach, CA race with a bunch of movie stars in April of 1990. Don Johnson, Kurt Russell, Chuck Norris, Richie Powers...everybody was there. The media coverage was awesome...and the women! ESPN used to cover the OPT circuit back then. "Those were the days, my friend..."

Sounds like the race used in the Fountain DVD. :food-smiley-007:

baddogz28 09-03-2008 01:43 PM

I was Don`s T-man and team mgr. when we ran the 50` Revenge Cat with four 1,100 hp Coyote SC motors. I could write a book on the entire adventure, and maybe will someday, but for now I will try to lend some first hand info.
We had major sponsorship from Revlon, Trump, Samsonite, Perry Ellis, Mercury, and Brooke Yachts. Those sponsors basically covered the cost from boat, equip. and expense`s. Don had very little out of pocket, and when the boat was sold he got all the money from the sale, so he made out probably better than anyone in the history of the sport.
I still speak with him occasionally, he is done with boats, and has been for years, financially he is no problem.
As for when OPT was formed and why. It all started with the worlds in Atlantic city at Trump Castle ( our sponsor ). All the drivers and crews got upset over a small stupid thing which was reporting for physicals and drivers meetings @ 7:00 am in the morning, when everyone knew there was not going to be a race for at least next couple of days due to Hurricane like conditions. The biggest gripe was the officials who were acting like police and not giving info. as to the fact that we were not racing insisted on the same drill for two mornings in a row were physicals, and early morning drivers meeting with storm outside blowing a gale. The officials ( god bless them ) were only volunteers, but with the shirts were officials and acted as such, which upset most of the owners and drivers, because they had such control over them. That`s when it started with why do we have to take orders from volunteers, and an organizer/race chairman that was clearly not communicating with the teams, and making them jump hurdles for no reason . It could have been posted the night before, no race next day, no physicals, no drivers meeting, instead half the day was wasted waiting for drivers meeting, physicals etc. to be completed. In those days physicals alone for all the teams took several hours to complete. D.J., Copeland, Marks, et al got together and decided they wanted a professional organization like winston cup, Indy etc. with paid officials etc. so formed Offshore Pro Tour OPT. Rest was history. During that time Offshore made it`s way to ABC wide world of sports with Roone Arledge at the time as producer. ESPN etc etc. Say what you want but when the Movie Stars were racing the crowds were huge. I remember when Barb. Strieshand and Don were in Michigan for a race, it was impossible to get through the crowds, same when Kurt Russell ran with us as navigator and once as driver, we had Goldie, Melanie, all the kids, Chuck Norris and Reggie Fountain, all crowd pleasers. I remember awards ceremonies with thousands of people to see the stars and get autographs.
So everyone knows, Don was and is a great friend and was a very good guy around the race sites, always was one of the guys. He got a bad rap from people if he didn`t answer there requests for something, they thought he was an ******* because he would not sign autographs in the middle of a meeting or when he was eating, I saw both sides, and I saw how much he contributed to Offshore at the time. I will stick up for him anytime, anywhere as a good guy and one who loved the sport and the challenge. All for now, like I said many stories.

Thanks for the great info!!! I doubt there would be someone more qualified to talk about DJ back in the day. I appreciate you responding to my thread! :ernaehrung004: