Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? >

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Notices

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I'm a big 'Vice' fan as I'm sure many of you are... Googled Don and found some info about the racing he did in the late 80's and early 90's, but didn't find much. I got to wondering if he's got a sport boat now...

Anybody know?
Hey BaddogZ28 - nice to have met you briefly this past weekend. we had a great time enjoying your town

Anyway back on topic sort of...Last year one of the orignal Miami Vice boats was at Bonnie Castle in the St. Lawrence. If I dig into my archives I might be able to find a photo of it
Old 09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered

Even though I know way more than the average person about boats, fast boats, different drives, etc, I have to tell you, it is still confusing to me when I watch an offshore race!!!!

Imagine if a random spectator pulled up to watch a race??? He or she would have no clue!!! Who is winning, what class, which one, it goes on and on.

It is not easy to watch offshore races compared to any other form of motorsports.......and that is the problem!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to admit, I really enjoy reading these type of posts.
While I was not a "big shot" in racing, this brings back the best times of my life when I raced in APBA. I wish I could do it again. The way I see the current offshore racing circuit, it became to much of an "equipment' race not a drivers (or TM's)
That's why the politics in all the different divisions, and most spectators has no clue. I think celebs are good for exposure and media for any race, but that's being said.. as long as the celebs. are there for the pure adreniline of the race and not for photo ops.
Don J. really had an pation for boating. Does he still holds the record from Rock Island to New Orleans on the Miss? I heard that some one with a bassboat beat his record long ago. (I always wanted to do that run)
I really think that the race circuits should be totaly restructured so the crowd could understand it more. Current races are not as much about skills and guts but HP and $.
Good to see the "legendary" racers comments, (no matter how often I had their spray in my face)
Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 2,970 Likes on 981 Posts

A local guy owned Don's old 43 Larry Smith Scarab with the ghini motors in it. It was sold a few years back and went to Michigan I believe. Sweet ride though.

Old school Miami vice stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-djs.jpg   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-mv2.jpg   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-mv.jpg  

Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That original MV Scarab was at 1000 Islands a couple years ago...they did a bunch of video with the boat...I got a couple pics...

And DJ's old 43 was sold in Missouri last year...I saw it at LOTO on Shootout weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-2006pics-166.jpg   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-2006pics-158.jpg   Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?-2006pics-167.jpg  

Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
So what you are saying here, is that everything stays the same!!!!
It is now, as it always was............ or something like that.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
I guess if this sport couldn't make it then, with all the money, stars, TV coverage, millions of people, can it ever? sounds like it had all the ingredients of big budget - so what went wrong?
The truth is the sport did "make it" back then......... it simply went downhill from there. If we had simply left it alone, as a single, international entity with a common goal, I am sure it would be a much bigger player to this day.

Gene Whipp came closest to recapturing the momentum back in the late 90's, and, in truth, Mike Allweiss initially tried to build on Gene's model. The failure came when APBA, SBI, and US Offshore (AKA OPA), could not (would not) merge, and, worse yet, added OSS to the mess. The powers that be in each organization did what all political types always do, try to strengthen and sustain their positions, and protect their "free ride" to the races. Unification was, and is, a threat to all the redundant "officials" in each group. In addition, various sponsors and vendors, were able to manipulate the divisiveness into a playing field tilted in their favor. Finally, the current "sponsorship" of "P" boats to draw a mediocre fleet of bewildering classes does as much harm as good. If you actually got major TV exposure, the program would be so senseless it would bury the sport forever.

Put that all together and the result is a sport that has no appeal to the "Average Joe" fan, let alone "celebrities".

IMHO

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 09-04-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
That original MV Scarab was at 1000 Islands a couple years ago...they did a bunch of video with the boat...I got a couple pics...

And DJ's old 43 was sold in Missouri last year...I saw it at LOTO on Shootout weekend.
Yup thats the one that was at Bonnie Castle last year, Had the same sign setting out on the dock as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don Johnson Edition 43' Scarab

Saw that boat in the New York show. Didn't know it was a Larry Smith...would have more respect for it.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don Johnson at the Driver's Meeting

After years of hearing his trademark voice on "Miami Vice", it was funny to hear him ask a question at the driver's meeting. I thought..."Hey, I know that voice...who the hell is that?"

Quick Reply: Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.