Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way? >

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Notices

Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Next year at the second anual Don Aronow race, plans are under way to have the legends back that were there this year plus many many more. I am hoping for a taped round table discussion, open to the public. Questions to be asked will be, How did you get started? What was your most exciting race? what was your toughest race? Who was your toughest competitor, What was your worst scarriest moment, and why? What was your favorite boat and race? What boats did you race? Tell us about your record/records.
I guess you all can get the jest of what I would like to accomplish. This would be done with the help of T2x as narrator, and Phil Lewis as producer????????? Legends need legends. At the round table I would also invite Johnnie T. Hagin, Teague, and others who could relate back to the old days, I would like to hear there comments on some of the legends stories, and how they relate to todays racing. At the last reunion I was proud to introduce Odell Lewis to the new guys, and thanks to the Searace book was able to show guys what we used to do, like running Turbine boats in 1965 from Long Beach to San Fran. and back single race. etc. etc. When the new guys and legends started talking there was no stopping, and the mutual admiration was incredible, everyone was signing autographs for each other, I heard lots of WOW`s and lots of NO WAY`s. Should be fun, all input is appreciated and sponsorship for the event would be a major help. It`s one way of preserving offshore for future generations. I`m upset that Al Copeland, Rocky, Tom Gentry, Smitty, Sirois and so many others could not have taken part, but we all have great stories about them that can be told. Also at this legends event I would like to invite the families of the ones I have spoken of, and maybe dedicate a place in the room for a reeth with a picture, throttlemen, drivers, crew etc. It`s time to remember our heritage and pay some overdue respect. Please!!! help with sponsorship for the event would be much appreciated, it could help pay some expenses for the legends that don`t have the means anymore, Plus cover the costs of the Video equip., room etc.. Some Food for thought is that it may be a good time to start the legends hall of fame, by inducting the first five legends based on there history and contribution to the sport. Could be the Tom Gentry Legends hall of fame. Thanks. Remember the racers of today will be the legends of tomorrow.
Hi Richie,
I was just thinking, the Don Memorial race was a great success. Maybe you could work with Larry and Brad to try to set up next years as a celebrity event with the racers mentioned above. I would gladly hand the wheel over to Don johnson or the throttles to you just to be in the boat with one of you guys. I'm sure many other would too. I'm sure your many of the guys listed above would jump at the chance to have one last go at it. Think there might be any chance?
Unless you think you are just too old!!
I think you could pull it off!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Tubbs summed it up best: "What it is.... What it wuz... What it evermore shall be... Git down! Git back up! Get drunk... Get funky! Or was that Robin Williams?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Hi Richie,
I was just thinking, the Don Memorial race was a great success. Maybe you could work with Larry and Brad to try to set up next years as a celebrity event with the racers mentioned above. I would gladly hand the wheel over to Don johnson or the throttles to you just to be in the boat with one of you guys. I'm sure many other would too. I'm sure your many of the guys listed above would jump at the chance to have one last go at it. Think there might be any chance?
Unless you think you are just too old!!
I think you could pull it off!
Everything will be done absolute with Larry and Brad, I have offered to help with the legends part. As far as the race next year, and this past year. I was supposed to run with Craig Barrie in the Donzi ZR 38 comp. that was on display, but last minute details ended that endeavor. I stood on the beach and watched and wished. also NEVER TO OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!! Omar Danial and I have already been talking about next year. Now that there is a record to be broken it makes more of a challenge. I spoke with D.J. about the last Don A. race and he really was not interested, that was all then as he put it.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I think Tubbs summed it up best: "What it is.... What it wuz... What it evermore shall be... Git down! Git back up! Get drunk... Get funky! Or was that Robin Williams?
I think it was Sam Kinison.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The best part about racing when Don J. and the other celebs were into it was there was a ton of coverage. I could watch the racing on TV and easily find it. When racing was anywhere near where I lived I heard about it on the radio and made plans to go.

Now even when a race is nearby I don't hear about it... I own a condo in Panama City Beach and didn't hear about a couple races until after they passed, and the course went right by my condo so I could have watched it from the balcony.

I wish some celebs would get back into it so the coverage would get better so it would be easier to follow... which in turn makes it more fun overall to watch.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything will be done absolute with Larry and Brad, I have offered to help with the legends part. As far as the race next year, and this past year. I was supposed to run with Craig Barrie in the Donzi ZR 38 comp. that was on display, but last minute details ended that endeavor. I stood on the beach and watched and wished. also NEVER TO OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!! Omar Danial and I have already been talking about next year. Now that there is a record to be broken it makes more of a challenge. I spoke with D.J. about the last Don A. race and he really was not interested, that was all then as he put it.
YOU DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT RECORD!! LEAVE IT ALONE!!
Ad for D.J., maybe if you told him he could be driving the boat that set the record it would be a little more appealing!!

Last edited by LubeJobs42; 09-04-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Marshall Ives?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I stood on the beach and watched and wished. also NEVER TO OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!! Omar Danial and I have already been talking about next year. Now that there is a record to be broken it makes more of a challenge.
This could get really interesting.................

Now you're talking
Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good and bad of celebrities

One of my most fond memories was diner with Joe Thiesman, when he was hanging with I believe Doug Lewis and the Harrah's C class guys.

One of the worst was Pete Rose. Didn't the Coast Guard have to fly him out of a race?

Mike Sadlon
UL 89
Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Rich" and Richie ! - both of you bring back many many memories - wish it were possible to assemble all this some how - many would love to hear it all - You both should get together - put together a Video - you both narrate it - T2X has the footage - you both have the narrative - - um... an idea - you never sell it - or distribute it - just show it at gatherings - have it as the "draw" - you would be surprised at how many would attend your events - "World Forum of Offshore" ?

all of you be well - PHIL

[email protected]

Quick Reply: Is Don Johnson still in the sport in any way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.